• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt collection letters for landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collection letters for landlord

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can give a little insight.

My friend is renting a flat which she thinks might be from someone who shouldn't be letting it. This because there are a lot of flats given to asylum seekers (I think) in the block and when the tenants requested new keys to the laundry room the management company didn't have them down as the tenants.

They opened a letter addressed the flat (the name was obscured so they couldn't see who it was addressed too or it wouldn't have been opened) the letter was a demand of payment for about 800 pounds and failure to pay would result in debt collectors coming round.

So just wondering really, if collectors did come round, would they be able to take any furniture etc. Even though it may not be the landlords?

Thanks for any help.

Luke
    Tags: None

Re: Debt collection letters for landlord

Originally posted by Luk390 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Hope someone can give a little insight.

My friend is renting a flat which she thinks might be from someone who shouldn't be letting it. This because there are a lot of flats given to asylum seekers (I think) in the block and when the tenants requested new keys to the laundry room the management company didn't have them down as the tenants.

They opened a letter addressed the flat (the name was obscured so they couldn't see who it was addressed too or it wouldn't have been opened) the letter was a demand of payment for about 800 pounds and failure to pay would result in debt collectors coming round.

So just wondering really, if collectors did come round, would they be able to take any furniture etc. Even though it may not be the landlords?

Thanks for any help.

Luke
    Good morning Luke,

Were the " usual" formalities applied when the tenancy was started, e.g. credit checks, references, deposit taken and placed with a deposit protection scheme? Was an agency involved.

As to the letter return it to the sender at the address on the letter no to any " return " address that may be on the back of the envelope. State that the addressee is not a resident of the address.

nem

Comment

Re: Debt collection letters for landlord

Originally posted by Luk390 View Post

The answer to your question is debt collectors and/or bailiffs cannot take goods belonging to anyone other than the 'debtor'.

In fact debt collectors can't take anything only bailiffs can. And then only if the debt owner has obtained a CCJ (or Magistrates order) and has sought and obtained a Warrant of Control through the proper legal channels.

You say the name on DCA letter was obscured but now the letter had been read is it obvious who the person is such as the Landlord or a previous Tenant? Either way send it back 'Return to Sender - Not Known (opened in error)'. I wouldn't inform the agent if it's the Landlord because this is a private matter.

The letter is not intended for your friend (the Tenant) so no amount of credit checks or references on them at the start of the tenancy would make a difference. There are no such checks carried out on Landlords either (I'm pleased to say since I'm a Landlord and I value my privacy even though I have nothing to hide ).

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X