• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please: MBNA; Experto Credite; PRA Group; CCJ issued in absence. Is it too late?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please: MBNA; Experto Credite; PRA Group; CCJ issued in absence. Is it too late?

Hello everyone. This is my first post on here.

I've got multiple debts and various issues I'd like to ask about, but I need to start with the most urgent as it's reaching the bailiff stage.

I'vehad a similar experience to some other people that I've readabout in a thread on here: a defaulted debt with MBNA which then went to various debt collection agencies (including Experto Credite) whilst I paid a token amount for severalyears, and then suddenly some bounced back payments from late lastyear; the debt getting taken over by PRA Group and then court actionvery quickly after. From what I read Experto went bust and PRA took over and have been very aggressive in going to court.

I understand that requesting CCA information to find out if the debt is enforceable is useful, and can halt further court action until the request is answered by the creditor. I've also heard that if Experto were involved there's a good chance the relevant paperwork is not present and the original debt may have been unenforceable.
    Myproblem is that because of an issue with not getting my mail I didn'tknow about it all until after the CCJ had already been issued.They've now also issued a Warrant of Control, which involves thebailiffs etc.

I'veread about requesting CCA information to see if a debt is enforceableand that a creditor has to supply certain information. But I haveread that this obligation ceases once a CCJ has been issued. So is ittoo late for me to do anything (even if just temporarily halting the court action whilst I take further advice on how to proceed)?

Oneoption could be to apply to get the CCJ “set aside”. Possiblegrounds could be that I never put in an initial defence because Ihadn't got the letters until after the CCJ had been issued, so it gotissued by default in my absence. My mail had been going to my oldercorrespondence address. The problem here is I'm reluctant to give mynew address out to them...

However,I do also dispute the amount. I've looked back at my original spreadsheet from 2008 when I first got into financial trouble. I'velisted my MBNA debt as being £7500. This debt changed hands severaltimes before PRA finally put in for the CCJ at £8700. They alsoadded £500 in costs, so the final CCJ is for £9200. Does this seema reasonable amount of costs to have added on, or do you think Iactually do have grounds to set aside the CCJ?

Iunderstand that if you submit a CCA request before a CCJ has beenissued, then this halts any further action until the creditor hassupplied the requested information. But if it's true that theobligation to provide CCA information ends once a CCJ is ordered(I've read that this is because the CCJ supercedes any previous termsand conditions etc) then does this mean this will not work to even temporarily halt the bailiff action?

Or could I still write to the court and/or PRA to say that I intend to get the CCJ set aside and still make the CCA request, and request a halt on any further action until they have provided that information?

Advice greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Help please: MBNA; Experto Credite; PRA Group; CCJ issued in absence. Is it too l

Hi monkeybuster, welcome to LB.

My mail had been going to my oldercorrespondence address.
    Probably satisfies the first hurdle if you want the judgment set aside. The other is (usually) having a viable defence to the original claim.

The problem here is I'm reluctant to give mynew address out to them...
    You will need to supply an address for service of court documents.
    The Claimant can serve on the last known address provided that a reasonable search has been made.
    CPR 6.9(6)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X