• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Mortimer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Mortimer

Hi. I had an MBNA card that my ex controlled. Unbeknown to me he stopped paying in Nov 2008, just prior to immigrating abroad in Feb 2009. I returned in 2016 to discover a CCJ on my credit file. Long story short, they claim I terminated the agreement in May 2010 and thus they had the evidence they needed to take me to court. Now I never received any letters of demand from MBNA, was out of the country when the court order was sent, so had no knowledge of this and if I did send the termination letter somehow, the debt was with MBNA. I don't know if I can fight this as my ex shredded all paperwork before we left. I'm so confused and not sure what to do. They keep sending me threatening letters and Citizens Advice say just pay it. Need an alternative opinion to make sure they are right before I pay. Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot/Mortimer

Hi HoundedbyCabot, welcome to LB.

If you can prove to the court that you could not have received the original court papers, you have a reasonable chance of getting the CCA set aside.
    A slight problem may be that you have been aware of it since 2016.
    Did Cabot find you & contact you at your new address? Or did you inform them when you found that a CCJ had been decided during your absence?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi HoundedbyCabot, welcome to LB.

If you can prove to the court that you could not have received the original court papers, you have a reasonable chance of getting the CCA set aside.
      A slight problem may be that you have been aware of it since 2016.
      Did Cabot find you & contact you at your new address? Or did you inform them when you found that a CCJ had been decided during your absence?
      They tracked me down I assume through my credit file.

Comment

If you wish to get the judgment set aside, first write to Cabot to seek their consent. If given, it makes the process simpler & cheaper.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X