• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

End of tenancy - dispute over cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of tenancy - dispute over cleaning

Hi,

We have just come to the end of a short tenancy. There was an inventory taken at the beginning and at the end of the tenancy, and prior to the end inventory, we hired a professional company to clean the flat.

The inventory company is now alleging that the flat has not been professionally cleaned (which was a clause in the contract), and the landlord has agreed with some, if not all, of their complaints. With one small exception, to us the claims seem groundless; on top of this, the inventory rep had assured us that we would probably be fine to get our deposit back (and then filed a completely different report).

Could someone point me to a short summation of our rights in such a case (or offer advice, if you have been in a similar situation)? Many thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: End of tenancy - dispute over cleaning

Do you have a receipt for the flat being professionally cleaned?
    Did you take any photos after the flat was cleaned?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

We can easily get a receipt for the professional cleaning. Unfortunately we didn't take any photos after the flat was cleaned, but the inventory company did, and notably in terms of general cleanliness, there is no way that anyone could tell the difference between these and photos taken before we moved into the flat.

Comment

Was this property managed by an agent or are you dealing with the Landlord direct?

Is/was the deposit protected?

If so, you can raise a dispute with the agent (if there is one) or direct with the Landlord (in writing) and then escalate it to the relevant TDS scheme (assuming the deposit is protected).

At that point the Landlord has to release the non-disputed amount of the deposit to the Tenant while things are investigated.

Never mind what the inventory clerk said about the return of your deposit since it isn't their decision to make. They tend to sidestep potential confrontation when a Tenant is present during the check-out.

Shelter's website has useful information for you here (including a template letter to help you to recover your deposit) >

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...nancy_deposits

Di

Comment

Hi

Proffesionaly cleaned does not meen you have to bring in proffesional cleaners, just that it has to be up to a standard. Its a bit of an odd term in a TC, becuase proffessional firms can be rubbish, and tenants really good at final clean up.

What i have noticed is a tendancy for some Agents/landlord to just try claim the depaosits off the tenants using unreasonable end of tenacy terms.

I would, demad all paperowrk and photos from the Prior inventory and the end one, with individual issuse maked out by the agent. Tell them that you will consult with the cleaner you used and the prior documentaion for the origional inventory to varify there claims.

Tell them that holding onto your deposit will cost you firther and if its found that any claims from them are overplayed or unreasonable, that you will push for furthjer costs. ( just being pushy )

Tell them to provide you with a list of all disputed items by friday and that you wil trigger the depsot dispute clause in with your deposit company. Tell them if they wish to deal with it without involving the deposit company ( and further time/costs )

regards George
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thanks Di. We are dealing with the landlord direct. The main point of contention now (aside from a couple of minor alleged damage issues) is that the inventory company rated the cleaning as of 'good domestic standard, rather than 'professional standard', but there is no clear evidence to support what they mean by this. The flat was in the same condition as when we moved in.

Thanks very much for the Shelter link.

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
            Was this property managed by an agent or are you dealing with the Landlord direct?

Is/was the deposit protected?

If so, you can raise a dispute with the agent (if there is one) or direct with the Landlord (in writing) and then escalate it to the relevant TDS scheme (assuming the deposit is protected).

At that point the Landlord has to release the non-disputed amount of the deposit to the Tenant while things are investigated.

Never mind what the inventory clerk said about the return of your deposit since it isn't their decision to make. They tend to sidestep potential confrontation when a Tenant is present during the check-out.

Shelter's website has useful information for you here (including a template letter to help you to recover your deposit) >

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...nancy_deposits

Di

Comment

One thing to note for other people dealing with difficult tenancy deposit situations - unfortunately Shelter don't offer advice on these issues on their phone line any longer. They simply have too much to do in advising people on evictions and more serious matters. Sign of the times, sadly...

Comment

If you have applied to a professional house cleaning company, you are right, and they are trying to deceive you. Try contacting the company from which you hired people for professional cleaning and ask them for a receipt or a document that proves that they are a professional house cleaning company and that you have used their services. I usually always do this when I contact my company that makes me move out cleaning South London. I hope my advice will help you, and remember, if something happens, go to court if you consider yourself right.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X