• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax arrears of 10 yrs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax arrears of 10 yrs

Hi all , hope someone can help, been on the phone most of the day with no luck
    In brief I purchased a farm yard next door to my mothers house and put a mobile home on it this was over 10 years ago ,so applied for a certificate of lawfulness in keeping with the 10 year rule,I then get a letter from the council saying that I owe them 10 years council tax ,no amount on it has the home has not been banded but they are doing this in the next 90 days so they cannot give me a final figure
    I have been paying council tax at mothers house I am registered there
    Can they do this??
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax arrears of 10 yrs

Yes - there is no limit on how far a council tax charge can be backdated (it's to stop charges being missed where the council aren't aware of the property etc). The valuation office agency will set the right date and the council will charge from then.

By mobile home, what sort of structure is it ? - one of the large static caravan style homes ?

I have been paying council tax at mothers house I am registered there
    Have you been living with your mother in her home or in the caravan ?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by lgfa92 View Post
      Yes - there is no limit on how far a council tax charge can be backdated (it's to stop charges being missed where the council aren't aware of the property etc). The valuation office agency will set the right date and the council will charge from then.

By mobile home, what sort of structure is it ? - one of the large static caravan style homes ?

Have you been living with your mother in her home or in the caravan ?

Craig
      Hi Craig thanks for your reply
      It's a large twin unit mobile home wood construction
      We have been living in it since we arrived here 10 yrs ago not at mothers just used that for a postal address and we registered ourselves their
      Cheers Brumm

Comment

10 years to pay ???

Comment

Yes 10 years of arrears to pay

Comment

Hi Craig thanks for your reply
            It's a large twin unit mobile home wood construction
            We have been living in it since we arrived here 10 yrs ago not at mothers just used that for a postal address and we registered ourselves their
            Cheers Brumm
            On this occasion I can't think of any real way around it for you - if you ask the council they may waive some of the backdated charge but it's very unlikely.

Craig

Comment

Will it make no difference that I have shared the council tax with my mother ? She would have been paying single persons rate otherwise

Comment

Will it make no difference that I have shared the council tax with my mother ? She would have been paying single persons rate otherwise
                No - it doesn't remove the fact that you were resident in the mobile home.

The discount would be for her to take up with the council - if the council were not aware you were living in the house (i.e. she'd given them your name in the past as an occupier) then it's going to be difficult. There's no requirement for someone to claim a council tax discount ( I know of sole residents who never have).

Craig

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X