• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Query re: The Brownsword Group and Hastings Car Insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query re: The Brownsword Group and Hastings Car Insurance

Hi folks,

I have no idea if I'm in the right place to post a question of this nature, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Failing that, if somebody could direct me to a suitable place to seek assistance, I'd appreciate that also.

Background Information

I've recently been contacted by somebody called The Brownsword Group, claiming to act on behalf of my car insurance provider, Hastings.

They were calling regarding a minor incident that occurred in July 2016. I was driving home via the usual country lane, when I approached a 90-degree blind bend. Another driver approached the bend from the opposite end, but was directly in the centre of the lane and made no effort to move to their left side. Both vehicles were moving at a suitable speed, but the driver's strange decision to stay in the centre of the lane resulted in a very minor collision. Both vehicles sustained scuffs to the bumpers.

Myself, the other driver, and her passenger exited our vehicles. She refused to take responsibility, and stated that as there were two of them and one of me, I should be the one to claim responsibility. I angrily disagreed, but provided my details in any case. We also snapped pictures of each other's vehicles.

Once I got home, I contacted both Hastings and the Police and to notify them of the situation. Hastings claimed that based on what I had told them (as above), the incident was my fault. I informed them that I did not wish to make a claim, and left it at that.

Question(s)

Now I'm here, eight months later, receiving phone calls from this Brownsword Group, requesting I book an appointment to discuss my version of events. The reason why eludes me.

I have two questions. Firstly, is this Brownsword Group legitimate? I performed a little Google-Fu but couldn't find as much information as I expected to find. Additionally, their official website doesn't look very "official" at all. This makes me question their legitimacy.

Secondly, assuming they are legitimate, should I speak to them? I'm slightly concerned over the fact that eight months have passed since such a minor incident, and I haven't received any correspondence from Hastings since the incident.

Thanks in advance!

Tags: None

Re: Query re: The Brownsword Group and Hastings Car Insurance

DO NOT TALK TO THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES UNTIL YOU HAVE CONFIRMED DIRECTLY WITH YOUR INSURERS THAT THEY ARE ACTING ON BEHALF OF HASTINGS

If they aren't acting for Hastings but contact you again tell them all communications must be in writing.
    Any letters you receive should be passed unanswered (except for acknowledgement of receipt) to your insurers

Advise your insurers of this attempt to discuss the accident with you.

Even at this late stage the third party or her passenger could be making a personal injury (whiplash) claim, and you do not need to prejudice your insurer's position by discussing the matter with the other side!

I'm surprised on what you say above your insurers reckon it was your fault.
    You would not have heard from them as you said you were not making a claim

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I contacted Hastings Direct, who assured me that Brownsword Group are acting on their behalf. The matter was simply passed to them since the case had been open for so long with no activity. In other words, Hastings didn't care enough to pursue it any further, haha.

As you already mentioned, the third party is indeed attempting to claim for personal injury; which is baffling, considering the fact that both vehicles sustained VERY minimal damage and were practically stationary at the point of impact. Oh well, let's hope they see that during my "investigative interview"! Such a ridiculous waste of time, money, and effort. Anyway, I digress...

...Thanks again for your help!

Comment

On a slight digession, one of my daughters was involved i a slight accident in a supermarket car park.
        Low speed impact, minimal damage.
        6 months later up pops a PI claim!
        Insurers wanted to settle but daughter said no, and provided copies of photo's she had taken at the time etc etc.
        Third party discontinued claim a week before scheduled hearing!
        So stand your ground!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X