• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal agreement between family member-ANY ADVICE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal agreement between family member-ANY ADVICE

Dear All,

In July 2015 I was given the opportunity to purchase my fathers property (K) by clearing the existing mortgage and owe him 120k. But this means I also have to share this with my sister (share the benefits/income & debt etc). At the time my sister had no money, so I cleared the mortgage of 67k and agreed that she would give me this asap.
    I spent 6 months renovating, which means a lot of time, blood, sweat and tears. No money or help from my sister, and without any bitterness towards (it as she has other responsibilities and i knew this will be the case from the beginning) we came to an agreement that I would buy her out.

So heres the breakdown

She instructed a friend of her husband to survey the property and give a rough valuation, which came back as 750k

We owe my dad 120k as part of the purchase agreement
    And she still owes me 33.5k

So we agreed on 325k will be her share

Of course i don't have that money so we agreed I would buy a property that i will pay for but she will own.

The new property (E) cost 235k and we agreed that I will clear the mortgage first and then give her the remainder of the 325k which is 90k

She pays for legal fees and stamp duty and I will pay for the mortgage fees etc

I just wanted some advice around creating an agreement, we didn't want to fork out for solicitors to do this, so agreed to compile an agreement together that would include

Whilst the new property (E) is still under a mortgage for she will be joint director on the company that the current property (K) is owned by
    To take her off as a director I get a will and write that she is gets to clear her mortgage with my estate should anything happen to me.
    I adhere to the mortgage payments
    She only gets the 90k once the mortgage is cleared

The mortgage has been approved and things are in motion now, its a huge relief but at the same time its scary. We both are quite sensible and tend to look out for each other but for the sake of our individual security I would like some sort of agreement in place that would be legal and like a contract

Am I going the right way about this? What do i need to make sure I do? Include in the agreement?
    Any links or pointers?

Any information/help or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your response.

MyRights
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X