• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VW contract hire problem - Early termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW contract hire problem - Early termination

Hello
    I took out a 2 year contract hire agreement on a skoda octavia.
    agreed mileage of 16k (8kpa)
    Dealer offer was £2k up front, with 24 rentals of £180
    I decided to add another £2k up front and this dropped rentals to £100
    Looking to return the car after 13 months as i dont need 2 cars and have received a settlement figure of 55% for the remaining payments, which I understand is the VW standard for vehicles in the last 12 months.
    I am also up to 11.5k miles and they want to charge me a pro rata excess mileage charge over the first year figure of 8k.

My issue here is twofold:
    - Ive argued that my overall contract was for 16k miles and when you add up the settlement and excess mileage charges, this comes to just £80 short of the full 2 year lease charge, but they are getting a vehicle back with 4.5k under the agreed miles and nearly 12 months of extra residual value

- Additionally, the dealer offer of £2k up front has disadvantaged me in that the "discount" of 45% that they are calculating is based on the monthly payment amount and not on the total amount paid to date, which means that if I had paid £2k up front instead of the £4k, i would be paying them £560 LESS at month 13. Ive argued that this was never explained when i gave them the extra money and although the idiot on the phone tried to explain this as me getting the "benefit" of the reduced monthly charges, I dont feel this is at all TCF.

Any advice here is gratefully received

thank you
    Tags: None

Re: VW contract hire problem - Early termination

Possibly not something you want to hear but I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on, you either pay the early settlement fee or see the contract through to the end.

I am also up to 11.5k miles and they want to charge me a pro rata excess mileage charge over the first year figure of 8k.
    Assuming they have a clause in the contract which allows for this, then I'm afraid you will have to pay up.

Ive argued that my overall contract was for 16k miles and when you add up the settlement and excess mileage charges, this comes to just £80 short of the full 2 year lease charge, but they are getting a vehicle back with 4.5k under the agreed miles and nearly 12 months of extra residual value
    The vehicle's value is irrelevant, you've entered into a fixed term hire agreement on an agreed fixed monthly instalment. You agreed to the terms when you took the car and because you find out that the agreement was a bit of a bad deal, doesn't excuse you from complying with the terms. Hire agreements don't afford you the benefit of voluntary termination unlike conditional sale or hire purchase agreements, so the early settlement / termination fees are much higher and VW are entitled to the sums owed.

Additionally, the dealer offer of £2k up front has disadvantaged me in that the "discount" of 45% that they are calculating is based on the monthly payment amount and not on the total amount paid to date, which means that if I had paid £2k up front instead of the £4k, i would be paying them £560 LESS at month 13
    The benefit that your getting is the reduced monthly payments, at £100 and that is fair. The whole purpose of paying a deposit upfront is to reduce the monthly instalments but nothing more. If the matter went to court I don't think a judge would expect VW to go through the financials with you to determine what your best deal. It would be sufficient for them to explain that a deposit of £4k would reduce your monthly instalments from £180 to £100 and the onus is on you to make your own decision and calculations.

Again, not the answer you want to hear but hire agreements are only useful if you are going to keep within the terms of the agreement, and plenty of people get stung by the terms especially the excess mileage or the termination fees.

The only thing I can suggest is that if you pay the early settlement you ought to be entitled to a rebate of future interest and charges that you would have otherwise paid, so be sure that they have deducted the correct amount.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X