• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Requesting help applying for "set asider CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting help applying for "set asider CCJ

:tongue2:
    Hi
    I am hoping for some guidance on the process for applying to the courts to have a CCJ made by default judgement '"set aside"
    This is a really long story going back 12 years!!! My brother was victim of a car buying scam which went on some years ago which resulted in him receiving a fake cheque for the sale of his car. He took this cheque (unaware it was 'rubber') to Natwest Bank who cashed the cheque credited the 10,000 into my brothers bank account. My brother withdrew the money and paid his debts off. Over a week later, Natwest contacted him to advise that the cheque had bounced and he now owed the bank 10,000!!! After much debate Natwest ended up calling this cash and overdraft and ultimately the debt went to debt collection. My brother ignored the debt,paid nothing against it and made no contact with the debt collection company. He cannot remember whether a default ever appeared on his credit file for this as it was 12 years ago. In July 2016 he updated his credit file with his new address and registered on the electoral role and suddenly he began receiving letters from Robinson Way about the debt. Unfortunately he ignored the letters and eventually he was issued with a threat of legal action. He did contact the debt recovery company asking for proof of a credit agreement but this was never received. To get to the point, a CCJ has now been issued as he did not respond to the County Court notice. I am aware that there may be an option to dispute the CCJ by way of requesting it be 'set aside'if he can prove he was not liable for the debt. I believe he may have a case due to:

The original debt being 12 years old
    He did not make contact with the company within the last 6 years
    He did not receive the credit agreement he requested

I am also not sure of the legality of the debt in the first place given that the debt only occurred due to the bank releasing funds on a fraudulent cheque and then asking for it back-I would have thought the security of cheques would have been the banks responsibility?

I am now wondering of we can dispute this CCJ and if so where on earth do we start!?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X