• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer Claims PPI Issue? Help needed please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Claims PPI Issue? Help needed please

Hi (again).
    Okay, I'll try to keep this simple (like me).
    I was contacted a while ago by a PPI Claims company (Consumer Claims) ... All I had to do was provide them with my name, date of birth & the name of the bank/credit card/store.
    They said that their "win" percentage fee was 39%, but that didn't bother me, as I didn't think I would get anything anyway.
    Sent the form off and waited.
    Consumer Claims phoned me at the end of November 2016 & said that Lloyds Bank had agreed to pay £12,000+ for one claim, were disputing another claim (going to Ombudsman) & the Barclaycard claim was still ongoing.
    They also said that Lloyds Bank said they had sent a cheque on the 18th November, so I was quite pleased, to be honest. Even with the 39% fee, it would be a nice amount.
    Then, 10 days ago, I received an "Overdue Fee" from Consumer Claims, saying I owed them £5600+ for their 39% fee.
    I phoned them & they told me to phone Lloyds & ask them to reissue the cheque, so I phoned Lloyds Bank & asked them to do that. They said that they had sent the cheque to the Official Receiver, as I was bankrupt & discharged way back in 2004 (no terms, just total discharge after a few weeks), just in case they had an "interest" in the £12,000.
    I immediately phoned Consumer Claims, worried as hell, as obviously, I had received nothing from anyone except a 'demand' for the £5600+ - they said for me "not to worry" and they would invoice the Official Receiver.
    Consumer Claims never asked me if I had ever been bankrupt, and I would have immediately said "yes" if they HAD asked, and if there had been a "tick box" for "have you been bankrupt?" it would have been ticked. I would never hide anything from people who obviously know what they are doing.
    Obviously, I have received nothing & can't afford to pay the Consumer Claims people, but surely, if I received nothing from Lloyds Bank, what should I do?
    Just what I need.
    Any advice?
    Thanks
    Ian
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 26th December 2016, 18:17:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Consumer Claims PPI Issue? Help needed please

What did the official receiver say? Have you contacted them?
    As they have apparently had the cheque, you need to ask them what they intend to do with the funds.

On the other hand you could just wait and see, and not worry too much about it at the moment - as you've already stated, you haven't had the money. So therefore Consumer Claims can't demand any of it from you.

Comment

If there is an official receiver involved then it seems they get paid in the 1st instance, and any over to you I would of thought, BUT if you used the claims company then your contract would say you pay them the % & 38% seems very steep (cowboys) problem is you signed at some stage an agreement, they can come to you if there is no money to pay them for their work done, normally thru County Court system if you do not pay them,
      i.e. the money it has been stated has been passed the the Official receiver, now need to find out the distribution of the said funds and any left over.,

That is my view as the case would seem at this stage, but find out from the receiver the state of play> I had a similar few years ago with O.Hs , and the monies went to a credit card company (not bankrupt or such) and no money to pay the company concerned so we had to pay them albeit not all as I told them to sling their hook, and they happened to be put out of business shortly after>

sure other more knowledge will comment soon.

Comment

You won't get any money back from the Official Receiver. you should never have made this claim, it was pointless.

In this sort of case, what tends to happen is the OR offers the claims company a much lower fee and they agree to take that.

If they continue to hassle you for the money, come back here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X