• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT - can i cancel my direct debit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VT - can i cancel my direct debit?

Hi all.

I have a HP agreement and have notified the finance company via the phone that i wanted to voluntary terminate as i wanted to drive a different car and have paid in excess of 50% of the total amount payable.

They sent me a form which i completed before finding this forum - hope i haven't signed my life away.

Form reads "I wish to exercise my statutory right to Voluntary Terminate my agreement with you.I confirm that I have read and understood the contents of this letter, and confirm I understand
    I may have an additional liability if I have not taken reasonable care of the goods and the
    resale price is adversely affected.
    Signed "

My initial question is as i have paid in excess of 50% of the total amount payable can i cancel my current direct debit. I spoke to a lady in the call centre and she told me that the normal process was to keep the direct debit going i advised that i thought my liability was 50% of the original agreement and that i could cancel, response was as i still had access to the car i should keep it going.

Can someone advise what i am able to do without blackening my credit rating.

Paul
    Tags: None

Re: VT - can i cancel my direct debit?

If they have received the form then there is no agreement and therefore no need go pay any more. Phone up just to check they gave received the form before you cancel.

Comment

Many thanks ostell.

I have written to the FInance company and advised of my action.

I've also asked them to confirm the total amount payable, the total i have paid including trade in / deposit and also whether any payment still due (the now cancelled Direct debit) can be taken from the excess of what i have paid vs what i needed to pay.

I've asked when and to whom i should transfer the registered keeper over - this bit still confuses me!

Paul

Comment

If they have received the signed form then there is no further liability as long as you have met the 50% figure. The figure should have been on your agreement. The car now belongs to the finance company so you can change the V5 details and that can be done online. Tell the company that you are doing that and therefore they will need to provide insurance and tax for the vehicle

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X