• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mbna credit card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mbna credit card

2005 I had a mbna credit card, which was just under a £1000, a payment day was due over theChristmass period, so I sent it, but because they have a 10 day clearance period or some rubbish like that, it made the payment late so they kept adding £35 late payment charges it took my bill above the limit with all their charges. I gave up these people were getting me deeper in debt, so anyhow I stopped paying them I merely could not afford what they were keep adding eventually the debt went onto my credit file which fell last year so it doesn't show any more.so I need some advice on this!! I'm thinking of re-clawing the unfair charges back which probably amount to a fair bit. should I let sleeping dogs lie. or go for it, your advice would be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Mbna credit card

I would let sleeping dogs lie until you've researched the debt's current legal status.

Who now owns the debt (presuming it to have been sold on)?

When did you last hear anything from the current owner?

When did you last make a payment or acknowledge the debt?

Have you any idea what the current balance is likely to be?

It seems your mission is to claim back any unfair charges but did you also have PPI on this account?

If MBNA have sold the debt then you can safely send a Subject Access Request to them to get the history of the account. But I wouldn't do that until you've answered the above questions first.

Di

Comment

it's been about 9/10 years now.since Iv heard anything from anyone. I have no idea who owns it! I think the last payment was made around 2007/08 last balance I can remember was about 1,2500 mark it's all unclear now

Comment

Originally posted by sharron22 View Post
        it's been about 9/10 years now.since Iv heard anything from anyone. I have no idea who owns it! I think the last payment was made around 2007/08
        Have you moved house since then? Just checking they haven't been writing to an old address.

If the debt has been sold then any successful reclaim from the original creditor ought to be paid direct to you, not offset against the balance outstanding.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
          Have you moved house since then? Just checking they haven't been writing to an old address.

If the debt has been sold then any successful reclaim from the original creditor ought to be paid direct to you, not offset against the balance outstanding.

Di
          no Iv been at this address for 11 years now

Comment

sorry missed one of your questions, I have no idea about ppi on the card either

Comment

I found some old statements so my credit limit was £1000 last know payment looked as though it was May 09. the balance was 1,339.01 I have been charged late default charge £12. over limit default charge £12 and interest charges £ 22.19 all in a month

Comment

Hi

Have you acknowledged the debt in writing since May '09?
                Or were there any debt management plans (or similar)?
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

no debt management plans, I never got in touch at all throughout the life of the credit card, no acknowledgement of the debt, it was put on my credit file as a default and then just came off last year

Comment

Ok you would have had ppi on your credit card, so check this by getting a subject access request, if so get that back. it is unlawful to put £35 late payment charges as it is excessive and therefore a penalty charge, under the unfair terms of consumer contract regulations 1999, the bank cannot make a penalty charge. As you were in financial difficulty you could not make payments. As they have put further charges on this is unfair check out the Oliver Foster Burnell case Lloyds Bank Vs Oliver Foster Burnell case 2011, Howlett Clarke Solicitors helped him. Win the case as he had unfair charges, any question feel free to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you put up all the paperwork regarding this please.

Comment

Originally posted by sharron22 View Post
                      no debt management plans, I never got in touch at all throughout the life of the credit card, no acknowledgement of the debt, it was put on my credit file as a default and then just came off last year
                      If it has come off of your credit file and defaulted in 2009, and you had no contact between times, then it is likely that the debt is statute barred ( s.5 Limitation Act 1980). If they are chasing you then you should respond and tell them the debt is Statute Barred - otherwise I would leave it well alone.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I would look into if you had been mis-sold ppi write the company a letter, and get your sar subject access request. That would be good to get back plus all your charges.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X