• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer Credit Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Credit Act

Hi. My first time on this forum and looking for advice please specifically in relation to the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I've seen guidance on this in other forums and am confused on two aspects particularly, both of which seem to be relevant to my circumstances. I haven't approached any of my creditors yet however as I want to be more sure of my facts first!

I have numerous debts all in relation to credit cards. I've been making small payments to all creditors since 2008 with some of the debts still being with the original lender although many of them have been sold on to a DCA. Having seen guidance on other forums I think I should write to all creditors and ask for a copy of the agreement under the CCA 1974 which I suspect some of them will not be able to provide, especially those where the debt has been sold on (in some cases more than once).

I want to check please if A. This is the right thing to do and B. Are the "prescribed terms" provisions only relevant where the credit agreement was taken-out before a certain date? Possibly before 2006?

If they are unable to produce the agreement, is the debt unenforceable? I'm sure I've seen guidance on other forums that suggest I make a very small offer of repayment in such circumstances though that seems contradictory to the debt being unenforceable.

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Consumer Credit Act

Hi Jagsman & welcome to LB.

B. Are the "prescribed terms" provisions only relevant where the credit agreement was taken-out before a certain date? Possibly before 2006?
    Imho
    The 'prescibed terms', as mentioned in the original 1974 Act, were finally legally defined via the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, which came into force 19th May 1985.
    This also concerned s127 (notably s127.3)
    The prescibed terms are still relevant, but s127.3 was repealed in April 2007 via the Consumer Credit Act 2006

If they are unable to produce the agreement, is the debt unenforceable?
    Not necessarily. If they can show other evidence of an agreement (ie electronic data/file records), they can (& have been able to) persuade a judge that, on the balance of probabilities, there was a legally binding agreement.
    It would then be for the defendent to rebut the evidence.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X