• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scrapped a vehicle under HP agreement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapped a vehicle under HP agreement.

Please help me! Iv had a car on HP for 12 months and up to date with payments. Someone hit my car and it was totally destroyed...so I scrapped it! I'm still making repayments but haven't informed the HP company. Can I go to prison?
    Tags: None

Re: Scrapped a vehicle under HP agreement.

In addition to above post....please be kind, I am a single mum to 3 young children 7,5,1 and I am panicking.

Comment

Ok what you should have done is informed the finance company,and your insurers.
      When did the accident happen?
      What you need to do today is as follows inform the insurance company that the vehicle was on HP. Inform the scrap yard you sold it to today. Tell the HP Company. As the legal owners they will get the value of the vehicle. If you had Gap insurance you will need to make a claim on that. Do those today and come back to update the forum and we will give further advice.

Comment

The accident happened 2 weeks ago, it happened overnight. I got myself into a financial struggle and my insurance was cancelled because I had 2 late payments I didn't actually kno this until I phoned the insurance company up, and they told me it was cancelled. If I keep up to date on payments will the HP company kno what has happened. I didn't kno it was a crime, I am terrified of going to prison and leaving my children. It was only until I told my neighbour what I'd done and his reply was 'u can go to jail for that!'

Comment

Do you know who damaged your car?
          Were the police informed and if so when?

Had your insurers not informed you they were withdrawing cover following your non payment?

And relax....you won't be in line for a cell!

Comment

You absolutely will NOT go to jail for this Catherine. It's a very minor thing, and easily sorted out.

Comment

The insurance notified me by email, I Dont always check it to be honest and I had no idea my insurance was cancelled unless I paid the amount in full. No i v got no details of the car who hit mine, I did call the police tho.

Comment

No prison you made a mistake there how much do you owe on the car and did the police do anything about you having no insurance

Comment

Your vehicle was involved in an accident with an untraceable driver.
                  As such you could claim for your losses against MIB.
                  You need to collect as much information as possible, including photographs of your damaged vehicle and the police crime number.
                  you also need to move fastas there are short time limits to make a claim
                  You can download the forms from here :https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-clai...tting-a-claim/ or , as you have probably passed the time limit it might be worth while going via a solicitor who has experience in motor claims.

Comment

The car has been scrapped! Iv got no registration of the car all I know is it was a black hackney. I am so stressed over the whole situation.

- - - Updated - - -

No police didn't even check to be honest. I owe 4000. Am not disputing my payments I just didn't realise I wasnt allowed to get rid of the car.

Comment

the police would have car reg

Comment

Wasn't the registration number on the finance documents?

Go back to the police and ask for the crime number... they should have made a note of you reporting the incident.

I know you accept the debt has to be repaid, I'm just trying to work out how it may be reduced for you!
                        Last edited by des8; 4th December 2016, 09:39:AM. Reason: crossed with Wales!

Comment

Oh I know my reg num I Dont have the reg of the taxi. Can I still claim to the MiB?

- - - Updated - - -

You really are so kind to help me x

Comment

You can always put in a claim.
                            Whether or not it will be successful, I cannot say, but if you don't try you'll never know.
                            I really think you should go via a solicitor.

If you are a cabbie are you a member of LTDA or other union? they may be able to assist.

For future reference: when applying for insurance you will need to answer the question "have you ever had an insurance cancelled" in the affirmative.
                            It will make it difficult to obtain cheap insurance on line and you will probably be better off going via a high street broker.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X