• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bullied at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullied at work

I have an ongoing situation at work, and I'm looking for Employment Law advice.

About a month ago I was at my place of work - a weaving company - where I work a Night Shift. I notified a colleague of a problem with a machine that he was in charge of, which is part of my job.
    Without any explanation, he became very angry, swore at me, and waved a pair of scissors in my face. I tried to calm him down, but was unable to do so.
    Shortly afterwards he stormed out of work. As far as I know there were no other witnesses to what happened.

This was reported to Management - they "investigated". The colleague has since returned to work on another shift. He has stated that he doesn't want to work with me. The company have never told me what he said in his defence.

Following the incident, I had a short pre-planned holiday, and on return to work, found out that the Colleague had transferred onto another shift. I tried to find out what had been said, but I have been told it is confidential. In a one on one Meeting with my direct Manager, he told me that "I was wasting his time" and he felt that "I was trying to get people sacked"

There was a strange atmosphere on the shift, which is understandable.

On the second night following my return, another similar incident happened involving another colleague. I pointed a fault out to my Supervisor, and whilst we were dealing with it, the colleague mouthed off at me behind my Supervisor's back - again, I think nobody else saw it. As it is a weaving company, and noisy, I don't know what he said, but it was definitely hostile.

I reported this second incident to management and asked them to get involved.

The second incident was "investigated" - no evidence was found. The entire shift was reminded of the Anti Bullying Policy, which only seemed to cause more uproar.

I am now being hounded to attend a Meeting with more senior Management (Production Director, Senior Manager and HR Manager), and bring a Witness. This meeting would be outside of my normal working hours. They are stating that it is because I have told them that "I feel threatened" - I have never said this.

I have told them 3 times by email that I don't want to attend. I have also asked if they are intending to discipline me, and they have said no.

My question is -

Do I have to attend - It is not a Disciplinary, I have not put in a written Grievance, I am suspicious of their motives because of what my Manager said. I think that they want to transfer me onto another shift - which I don't want to do.

I am considering taking the Matter to the Most Senior Director.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X