• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA revoke Driving licence shock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA revoke Driving licence shock

Hi
    Had a letter today from DVLA saying they have revoked my driving licence.
    I sent them an SL1 form as I have recently been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
    My consultant said don't drive if you feel more sleepy than usual. I had already been self sanctioning before he said this. I dont want to die in an RTC or hurt anyone else! So I have not been driving when I feel extra tired after a bad night and have had to take the last 3 months out of work to address the CPAP struggle as the 2 things weren't compatible.
    Since July I have been on CPAP but struggle with it. over 50% of people with diagnosed OSA don't manage CPAP and give up with it.
    I don't see that I have a choice BUT to manage it however long it takes.

I am a rule follower so I told DVLA about the diagnosis on their SL1 form.
    Their form states that if you do not sign the declaration and have moderate to severe OSA then you will only be allowed a 3 year class 1 (car) driving licence'
    I took this to mean that I had to sign the declaration if I wanted to keep my licence.
    Their form further states that- in order to regain/maintain your licence you had to satisfy 3 criteria-:

* Comply with treatment and undergo regular medical reviews- I am doing this
    * Notify DVLA if condition changes
    * Not drive if my condition would make driving dangerous -I am already doing this.

despite this DVLA have revoked my driving licence. So what is the point of the declaration exactly?

They say I can appeal and if that fails I can go to court.
    In the meantime I cannot carry on my profession and earn a living (so will lose my home).
    I cannot afford legal representation.
    what the hell do I do?
    DVLA is very risk averse after the Glasgow Bin lorry crash and I can fully appreciate that and accept completely that we all need to be protected from incidents such as that.
    I have been nothing but sensible and taking measures to manage my condition in a way that does not impact on others well before the clinicians had any input with regards to this condition.
    whilst I try to get to grips with CPAP I have limited driving to 5 mins to a local supermarket. After a night of fighting with the CPAP I havent driven at all if I feel impaired in the slightest. I am not prepared to take the risk.
    Bottom line is that I can't do my job without driving and I have to work. I am 56 years old - not a lot of time to retrain for a new profession.

Help ! Any advice gratefully received

Molly
    Last edited by Chickpea66; 9th November 2016, 17:28:PM. Reason: spelling
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA revoke Driving licence shock

Hi and welcome.

As your licence has been revoked, I believe you have to reapply to a replacement issued.
    You should (I think) obtain a three year licence, but it takes a little time according to my friend (heart condition).

Have you tried 'phoning DVLA to find out?

I think the reference to appealling is to appeal against the revocation.
    You need to apply for a new licence.

Comment

Hi Des8

Are you saying that I should reapply immediately rather than appeal- as the quicker option?
      Molly

Comment

Originally posted by Chickpea66 View Post
        Hi
        Had a letter today from DVLA saying they have revoked my driving licence.
        I sent them an SL1 form as I have recently been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
        My consultant said don't drive if you feel more sleepy than usual. I had already been self sanctioning before he said this. I dont want to die in an RTC or hurt anyone else! So I have not been driving when I feel extra tired after a bad night and have had to take the last 3 months out of work to address the CPAP struggle as the 2 things weren't compatible.
        Since July I have been on CPAP but struggle with it. over 50% of people with diagnosed OSA don't manage CPAP and give up with it.
        I don't see that I have a choice BUT to manage it however long it takes.

I am a rule follower so I told DVLA about the diagnosis on their SL1 form.
        Their form states that if you do not sign the declaration and have moderate to severe OSA then you will only be allowed a 3 year class 1 (car) driving licence'
        I took this to mean that I had to sign the declaration if I wanted to keep my licence.
        Their form further states that- in order to regain/maintain your licence you had to satisfy 3 criteria-:

* Comply with treatment and undergo regular medical reviews- I am doing this
        * Notify DVLA if condition changes
        * Not drive if my condition would make driving dangerous -I am already doing this.

despite this DVLA have revoked my driving licence. So what is the point of the declaration exactly?

They say I can appeal and if that fails I can go to court.
        In the meantime I cannot carry on my profession and earn a living (so will lose my home).
        I cannot afford legal representation.
        what the hell do I do?
        DVLA is very risk averse after the Glasgow Bin lorry crash and I can fully appreciate that and accept completely that we all need to be protected from incidents such as that.
        I have been nothing but sensible and taking measures to manage my condition in a way that does not impact on others well before the clinicians had any input with regards to this condition.
        whilst I try to get to grips with CPAP I have limited driving to 5 mins to a local supermarket. After a night of fighting with the CPAP I havent driven at all if I feel impaired in the slightest. I am not prepared to take the risk.
        Bottom line is that I can't do my job without driving and I have to work. I am 56 years old - not a lot of time to retrain for a new profession.

Help ! Any advice gratefully received

Molly
        on other forums there has been advice not to contact the DVLA, since they seem to adopt a "ban all" approach. Not unusual for a government website.

Comment

My friend had his licence revoked for medical reasons, and applied for a new one almost immediately.
          I think it took a while to arrive, but he felt it was a better option than appealing.
          He did speak to DVLA before proceeding.
          However the advice you get from DVLA is not always correct. A bit hit or miss on who answers the phone!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X