• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISMISSED!!** Urgent help - hearing 10/11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Urgent help - hearing 10/11

Hi

Does anyone have any other thoughts,

I am petrified of attending Court

Comment

Anyone please? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Addocain View Post
        Hi

Think it is attached.

It says NOA was issued to Defendant around 10 June 2013, a copy of the template which would have been sent is attached.

Statement signed by Legal Assistant at Lowells with statement of truth

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I have found:

Law of Property Act 1925

Under section 136 of the Law Property Act 1925 (“LPA 1925”) notice of assignment must be given to the other party to a contract (i.e. the borrower) expressly in writing. There is no prescribed time limit for giving notice but the assignment is only legally valid when the borrower receives the notice.

Until proper notice is given, only an equitable assignment has taken place. An equitable assignment differs from a legal assignment in that where there is a legal assignment the assignee can bring an action (e.g. for recovery of a debt) in its own name against the borrower. On an equitable assignment the assignee would need to join the assignor as a party to the action before an action could be brought against the borrower. Alternatively, notice would have to be served in the correct manner before an action could be brought in the assignee’s name.

Section 136 LPA 1925 is silent as to how the notice should be served. The default statutory provision is found under section 196 LPA 1925. It provides that if notice is given to the other party by registered letter and is not returned undelivered, it will have been deemed to have been served. This means that whilst notice may be given expressly in writing, it will not be deemed served unless it has been sent by registered post.

Section 196 LPA 1925 refers to “registered letter”. The postal service “registered post” no longer exists. Instead, a notice should now be sent either as first class post with a certificate of posting (available through Royal Mail) or by recorded delivery; under the Recorded Delivery Act 1962 any notice which is deemed served by registered post will also be deemed served if sent by recorded delivery.

Section 196 (5) also states that its provisions extend to notices required to be served unless a contrary intention appears. In other words, if there is an express clause in the contract (which would include a lender’s mortgage conditions) that stipulates how any notices necessary under the contract are to be served, that will take precedence over the statutory provision in section 196.
        Hi

Does anyone have any other thoughts,

I am petrified of attending Court
        Anyone please? :-)
        Kinch-v-Bullard [1999] 1 WLR 423
        Neuberger J (as he then was) deemed that 'service' was sufficiently satisfied if sent via 1st class post (Correctly addressed & stamped)
        ‘....natural meaning of Section 196(3) is that if a notice can be shown to have been left at the last known abode or place of business of the addressee, then that constitutes good service, even if the addressee does not actually receive it……a notice served in accordance with Section 196(3) was validly served even if it could be shown never to have come to the attention of the addressee….once the sender has served the requisite notice the deed is done and cannot be undone..’
        The Interpretation Act 1978 s7 then applies.
        See also http://www.propertymanagementfocus.c...rded-delivery/

Personally I don't think that this is correct, & I prefer the contrasting reasons in Holwell Securities v Hughes, & Re 88 Berkeley Road.
        But it will be for you to convince the Judge in your particular case.
        Obviously, opinion via a website blog (such as you, & I, have quoted above) is unlikely to be given much (if any) evidential 'weight' by the court.
        Last edited by charitynjw; 9th November 2016, 02:59:AM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re their late submissions, & especially if they turn up at court with 'better' copies, you could refer to the Court of Appeal Denton/Decadent Vapours/Utilize TDS case.
          In essence a 3-part test is applied to breaches of court orders.....how serious it/they (breaches) are, is there a good reason, then can the court's Rule 3.9 be applied.
          http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2014/906.html
          Last edited by charitynjw; 9th November 2016, 02:41:AM. Reason: Link to case law
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Claim dismissed, thank you for your help

Comment

Well done on sticking with it... these are hard situations to deal with ...

Comment

Claim dismissed, thank you for your help
                Well done both Addocain and [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION].

nem

Comment

Thanks for all your help I couldn't have done it without you.

The Barrister was horrible and was very rude afterwards.

They said that the witness statement which I sent on 24/10 didn't arrive till today!

The DJ awarded me costs of £56.50

You have all been so helpful

Comment

Thanks for all your help I couldn't have done it without you.

The Barrister was horrible and was very rude afterwards.

They said that the witness statement which I sent on 24/10 didn't arrive till today!

The DJ awarded me costs of £56.50

You have all been so helpful
                    It's an excellent result!!

The barrister sound like a bad loser and very childish.
                    nem

Comment

She was SO rude.

Wonder if she will appeal?

The DJ was very scathing but it was the fact the NOA was a template, the conditions were unreadable and the fact it was all filed late which he said was on the basis he dismissed the claim.

I can't tell you how relieved I feel

Comment

She was SO rude.

Wonder if she will appeal?

The DJ was very scathing but it was the fact the NOA was a template, the conditions were unreadable and the fact it was all filed late which he said was on the basis he dismissed the claim.

I can't tell you how relieved I feel
                        I suspect that she was more than a little peeved because her instructing solicitor (s) was a complete TW * T. Lowell sols fail again.

nem

Comment

Ha ha you may be right!

Thanks Nem

Comment

Marvellous result! Congratulations and well done for holding your nerve! I'm glad the Beagles were able to give you some last minute support and help ahead of the hearing, its a pretty terrifying process but it sounds like you had a great judge! Can you share the judges name and court please, we like to keep track of the decent ones!
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X