• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cps decide not to call vital witness.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cps decide not to call vital witness.

A trial was held recently were a bobby got off with charges the CPS made against him.
    It was discovered that the CPS had a witness who they interviewed and his testimony would have won the case for the CPS.

I wrote to CPS and asked them why the witness they had was not used and they replied if I was not part of the trial it was nothing to do with me.

I am bemused that we tax payers are the ones paying the CPS for them to do their jobs right.

There must be a way to complain about what they did not call this vital witness ?

Can the case be re-opened. ?
    Tags: None

Re: Cps decide not to call vital witness.

If you have no direct involvement with a case you can only provide feedback.
    "Any member of the public can provide feedback to the CPS and there is no time limit for doing so. All feedback will be recorded and analysed in order to continue to deliver a high standard of service to the public. Where it is possible and appropriate to do so, a response to the feedback will be provided." (https://www.cps.gov.uk/contact/feedb..._guidance.html)

If this leaves you dissatisfied I would suggest you contact your MP with your concerns.

Comment

You are correct in my involvement is not direct but I know for certain the CPS knew of this witness so this is confusing the point I try to make.
      I was a member of the public viewing the trial and was very shocked that the obvious crimes the bobby made were there to see but the prosecutor made a glaring mistake due to the information he was provided by the CPS to him and this gave the bobby a get out as the jury could not convict because of the error made and therefore the decision of jury was NG.
      How on earth can our CPS make such an error and then when you show them they had other proof to present and they let that other witness go, why ?
      Surely they knew this other witness would have been the last nail they needed ?
      Or am I being naive by thinking they were helping the police get one of theirs off......
      Is the attorney general the one I need to go to now ?

Comment

Do you know the witness? its not always cut and dried because of a witness who can lie as well as anyone else have you a personal grudge against the copper?

Comment

If you want to pursue this IMO this your next step is to ask your MP for assistance.

Comment

Hi Thanks for any help on this matter it is greatly appreciated.
            Yes I do know the witness and he is a Lecturer who is honourable and he gave a written statement to police of his evidence which they said he would be used in court. Then they told him he was not needed weeks before which has made this strange to say the least.
            He has asked the police for a copy of his statement and they refuse to give it him....what can he do to get it now ?
            His evidence is clearly central to the trial and to us it seems the police look to be protecting themselves in this as that bobby retired years too early when he thought this evidence would be used.
            I want to ask why this has been like this and why our justice system which we pay for is making silly or deliberate errors ?
            Apart from MP is it worth the attorney general worth contacting ?

Comment

attorney General's office will only refer a complaint about CPS to the CPS themselves because CPS have their own complaints service (or not as you found out!)
              IMO not worth the effort referring to Attorney General.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X