• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gross misconduct of theft.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross misconduct of theft.

I found £10 on the floor on my job (council) in a HR meeting. I put the £10 note on my notepad with the intention to hand the money in to the reception. I left the 2h meeting and I went to my desk and I completely forgot to leave the money in the reception because Thursday is very busy and i had lots of priority to do and be ready before 5:00. I received an email from HR but I read the first line of the email that was saying thanks to attend the meeting and I closed down the email and I thought the email was just a thank you email. When I left my job and drove home I opened my notepad and I saw the money and I said to my husband that I found the money on the floor and I had to go first thing in the morning and hand the money in. Next day I went to reception and there was nobody there then I looked the clock and I remembered the reception opens late on Friday. There was camera in the reception. I went to my desk to wait for more 10 min and go back. Between this 10 min my manager came to me and said to read the email and asked me if I found the money. I was very nervous and I said no and we went to HR. In the HR, bacause I had never been in this situation before, the HR manager asked me again. That time I knew that I had to say I ve got the money but I had to tell my manager first because my mistake was say no because I was think they were accusing me to steal money. I asked to HR manager to speak to my line manager and I said to him that I had the money and I didn't know what to say because I didn't have proof to say that I ve tried to go to reception. This time I forgot about the camera and I just thought they were accusing me. Then I said to HR manager that I had the money and she told me I was been dismissed and I could resign or go to a hearing. I have decided to go to a hearing. Before the hearing I have asked them to check the cameras because I went there first thing in the morning. They have checked but only 1 camera and I explained exactly where I was. They didn't provide this information before the hearing and I was expecting to receive it during the meeting. They had 2 witnesses that saw me put the money in the notepad. One of the witness which sat next to me on my left didn't see what happened he just saw the 10 pounds note hanging out from the employee pocket who was sitting on my right. The second witness who sat two people to the left of me and she saw the money from the employee pocket, I don't know how she saw, but she didn't say anything. I found the money on the floor when I dropped my pen and bent to pick up the pen and I pick up the pen and the money because I didn't know who belonged it and the right person would find in the reception. During the hearing they ask my manager to speak and he said how good employee I am and when HR said to him he said that it was a misunderstanding and he wanted to ask me and HR didn't allowed him until next day. After I asked my manager if he had the same opportunity that the witnesses had to tell the employee who I didn't see loosing the money, if he would tell the person and he said yes. So I don't know why the witnesses didn't do it. The panel interrupted to ask and said that I was not allowed to make this kind of question and the panel didn't come back to questioning me about the witnesses, they completely ignored it. The panel didn't give the information about the camera for everybody in the meeting. But I know they saw me because one of the questions was why did you not left the money in the reception ? And I said because there wasn't anybody there and I had to hand in to someone and explain what happened. The last question after I explained everything the HR manager, who I said I didn't have the money because I had to tell my manager first and then I told her and I apologised both because that moment I had to say yes, asked me if I felt that I was caught and I said no! Because I had explained everything and my intention was just hand the money in and the money became a problem because I felt they were accusing me for something that I didn't do it. The end of the hearing they said I was dismissed for gross misconduct of theft because I had enough time to give the money back and I didn't. Also I had the opportunity to give it when I received the email that I didn't read it. They said I could appeal if I wanted and they would let me know. I had a colleague with me and she was not allowed to say anything and she was shocked because I found the money on the floor and had the intention to give it back and she didn't understand why they didn't decided another thing because it doesn't have real proof that I take money from a wallet or handbag etc... They didn't think about any other alternative. After that I sent an email for everybody who attended the meeting....

My email to them:

Dear Panel

I am writing to you to inform you that I want to appeal the decision that was made against me on Friday the 21st of October 2016.
    I believe that decision to be dismissed for gross misconduct for theft is unfair as I found £10 on the floor and did not hand it back within the adequate time that the panel personally thought was viable. My good name is now being associated with theft which will damage my image and my career. I believe that the panel did not fairly review and judge my case and I felt that the panel completely overlooked the witness statements and when i tried to mention them i was told that we could not discuss this with My manager I also feel that the panel were discriminating against me because I am not of English descent. I provided honest evidence to my actions but I do not feel the panel took anything I said into consideration, I had also gone to the reception first thing in the morning to hand in the money but as I explained that no one was there. I believe that you had already decided what was going to happen to my future before the disciplinary meeting and on these grounds I am currently seeking legal advice.

Under the data protection act of 1998 I am asking for copies of the security camera that filmed me in the reception at the time i told you i was there and i also want audio copies of the disciplinary meeting.

All I want is my job back because as I explained in the disciplinary meeting, that working with the lettings team and Manager's name is more than a job its my career, I ask you please consider another form of punishment for me but I really want to continue my employment at xxxxxx Borough Council.

I ask that you please send me an acknowledgement of this email within 7 days of today's date 22/10/16

Kind regards....

Today I have received a letter saying that the decided it because I didn't tell anybody that I had the money and again that I should give the money back and they believed that I wanted to keep the money. Then they start to say that I was overpaid and need to pay back £666.74. What I believe is they are trying to make me stop to appeal.

Could you please read my comment and give me your opinion. Thanks very much!
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X