• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

One Call Insurance Won't Take Cancelled For An Answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Call Insurance Won't Take Cancelled For An Answer

Hi,
    Not sure if anyone can help here but we took out car insurance with One Call last year and all went well. However, this year upon renewal the letter telling us about the renewal came through informing us that the rate was pretty much the same. Financial details to be sent under separate cover.

Next thing that happened was that the first payment bounced due to unforeseen circumstances. A week later we had a letter from their financial department stating we owed the month plus £60 admin fees.

I contacted the company straight away asking where this fee came from. They told me that it was all in the package they had sent me. I stated I had had no such paperwork so we had no knowledge of it. I asked that they perhaps waive the fee on this occasion. They said they couldn't talk to me about it due to it being my husband's policy. I explained that they are not open when he comes home so can't call them and has been doing van driving duty. They company doesn't allow mobile use unless it's company mobile in the van. I took out the policy for him and I was the contact. They said to contact One Call and see if they could instruct them to waive the fee.

I contact One Call who said they couldn't talk to me as I wasn't the policy holder. I explained the same predicament and that I was the point of contact. They then stated that perhaps I should contact the finance department to see if they would do something. I told them that the finance department had just put me on to them for the same reason. They said again that they could not discuss it with me.

By now I was fuming and I knew exactly how my husband would react so I said, in that case it looked like we were going elsewhere and hung up before I blew my stack.

I talked to my husband that evening and he and I took out a policy with Nationwide and not only was it cheaper they did not charge if there was a hickup in payments, they just tried again 7 days later. They also allowed us to choose the date they took the payment.

A couple of weeks later we had a letter informing us that if we didn't pay they would cancel the insurance. We thought, fine. That was what we wanted anyway.

A couple of weeks later they sent another letter stating that the policy had been cancelled due to lack of payment.

Since then I have been receiving texts demanding payment which I cannot respond to, and the letters have continued and the latest letter states that with reference to our cancelled policy they demand we pay the full year's insurance?

Only I can call them but they won't listen to me, even though I am clearly the point of contact for texts. Is it a case of them simply not being able to get it into their heads that the policy is void as far as we are concerned? Should we just send a letter from my husband putting it in writing so they will take the hint?

Sorry if I seem rather thick here. I tend to think, that the latter is the right course of action, but it seems insane to us that even though they cancelled the policy they still keep chasing us for the insurance policy?

Hope you can clear things up in my head.
    Tags: None

Re: One Call Insurance Won't Take Cancelled For An Answer

First thing: no more phone calls. Keep everything in writing, sent signed for.

As you seem not to have actually cancelled the insurance, but just failed to keep up payment of premium the insurers were within their rights to cancel the policy.
    This should have been done at short term rates.

On top of the premium due to the insurers for the time between renewal and cancellation there are various charges levied by One Call Insurance.
    They are listed on page 8 of this document file:///C:/Users/des8de/Downloads/One-Call-Home-Information-Book.pdf

If you want to post up their letters and payment demands, we can check whether they are in compliance with their published T&Cs

Comment

Hi, sorry for major delay in getting back to you and thanking you for your response. I sent a letter to them stating that on the day I made contact with them, I did state that we would be terminating our policy with them and that upon their sending us a letter saying they had cancelled the policy we took that as confirmation of what we wanted to happen. Also that we had taken another policy out on that same day. Our reason for cancelling were due to excessive charges we were unaware of due to not receiving relative paperwork, being bounced between their customer services and financial department, neither of which would make a decision and wouldn't talk to me even though it was my mobile number and email they had as pont of contact. Also refusal of any flexibility with payment date to ensure no further payments bounced. I ended by saying that we trusted this clarified the matter.... We have not heard a thing since then so it seems they got the message. Letter was sent signed for. Thanks for your advice. One less financial vulture circling.

Comment

Please keep any paperwork you have.

At sometime in the future, if you have a claim, you might find your insurer saying you are recorded as having had a policy cancelled.
        I know you cancelled the policy, but One Call wrote saying they cancelled due to no payment of premium.
        If you have had a policy cancelled you normally have to declare this on the proposal form.
        I don't know what you told Nationwide, but failure to declare a policy cancelled by a previous insurer can lead to a policy being voided in the event of a claim.
        This is not to scare you, but to forewarn you that you MIGHT have problems in the future, so keep your paperwork.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X