• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

help taking a private car seller to court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help taking a private car seller to court

dear leagalbeagles,

Please help me with some advice on taking a private car seller to court.

I recently purchased a used from a private seller. During the sale I specifically asked the seller if the car's transmission oil has been changed as per manufacturer's recommendation to which assured me yes it's been done and said the mechanic form the garage called him to confirm when the car was sent to service in a garage.

After I got the car home, called the garage next day to confirm the above claim but the garage told me that no such oil change was done on the car. Since this was a essential maintenance, I had to do it from the dealer and spend £199 for the same. I tried to engage with the seller to contribute to this cost but he refused saying the car is sold as seen and threatened to take me to court for bothering him.

I have decided to take this matter to court (small claims) as in principal he lied and now refusing to put it right. Please advice me if you believe i should not.

many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: help taking a private car seller to court

Hi starnb & welcome to LB.

Have you any written evidence re the seller's statement concerning the oil change?
    Was it mentioned in any of the advertisements? (If yes, can you access them?).
    Independent witnesses to the statement? (Who would give evidence to a court on your behalf).
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

hi charitynjw,

The seller has not included any details on transmission oil change in the actual advert this is something I don't see even dealer don't advertise. However this is where I enquired specifically about this on the phone before setting off to see the car. While viewing the car he also assured me that the oil change was done and the mechanic called him while he was doing the oil change. Upto this point it's all verbal and I did not have anyone to accompny me as a witness.

Later when I confessed the seller on messagner that what he told was not true as confirmed by the garage, he went on talking how good the car is and a good value to me and asking me to do that oil change myself.

In short, he never advertised it in writing; but he never denied it in writing when I questioned over his inaccurate information. All he said in writing that it was a confusion on his part and the car is still good deal and I should pay for the oil change. I have written him formal letter explaining him the situation and giving him couple of weeks to pay. He replied in return saying he won't pay and threatened me with a counter legal action for bothering him with a letter.

thanks,
      starnb

Comment

Its a he said you said situation here without some proof would be hard to win a case after all you could say he said it had this and that done to it?

Comment

Originally posted by starnb View Post
          hi charitynjw,

The seller has not included any details on transmission oil change in the actual advert this is something I don't see even dealer don't advertise. However this is where I enquired specifically about this on the phone before setting off to see the car. While viewing the car he also assured me that the oil change was done and the mechanic called him while he was doing the oil change. Upto this point it's all verbal and I did not have anyone to accompny me as a witness.

Later when I confessed the seller on messagner that what he told was not true as confirmed by the garage, he went on talking how good the car is and a good value to me and asking me to do that oil change myself.

In short, he never advertised it in writing; but he never denied it in writing when I questioned over his inaccurate information. All he said in writing that it was a confusion on his part and the car is still good deal and I should pay for the oil change. I have written him formal letter explaining him the situation and giving him couple of weeks to pay. He replied in return saying he won't pay and threatened me with a counter legal action for bothering him with a letter.

thanks,
          starnb
          The phrase that springs to mind is "a verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on".
          The burden of proof will lie with you, & the other party will only need to offer a 'reverse burden' if you can persuade the court that the conversation may have taken place as you say.
          Best guess? Caveat Emptor. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/caveat-emptor
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks for your inputs. It's not very black and white but there is some written aspect to it and a good a good enough basis. It is not like I am claiming for repairs that I failed to spot.

I have decided to go through the claims court and see what's the outcome. I'll post the outcome in due course.

Comment

. All he said in writing that it was a confusion on his part

If that Written statement is in response to a written request by you , on the balance of probabilities it is as good as a confession that he told you an untruth.
              It matters not that the misrepresentation was inadvertent.
              IMO you could rescind the contract completely, or settle for the seller meeting your costs.

Don't forget to send a letter before claim etc etc

Comment

Yes the seller did admitted in writen response that it was his confusion. I gave him every opportunity to resolve in nicest way possible, with informal messages as well as written letter giving plenty of time. People do make mistakes and I don't claim he is a crook; but then good sellers also admit their own ignorance of what they told to buyers and sort it out. He claims I am opportunist (in writing) and he is going to defend the case.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X