• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

halifax debt transferred to moorcroft can interest be added to an existing ccj

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• halifax debt transferred to moorcroft can interest be added to an existing ccj

stopped paying a halifax loan-ccj- followed by warrant of execution-no goods or cash so bailiff told me to get a n245-received a n41 to pay £5.00 per month dated 12/06/1999. paid from that date on without fail.
    every 6 months get statement showing payment and balance.
    last statement 06/05/2016 states balance £5802.52 also says "you will not incur any default sums or extra interest in relation to the missed or partly made payments referred to in this notice"
    01/09/2016 received letter from halifax telling me my debt has been passed to moorcroft dca
    to handle and the balance is £9152.67
    i have paid 4 instalments of £5.00 since last statement balance should be £5782.52?
    can they add all this money to my balance without explanation
    what can i do
    Tags: None

Re: halifax debt transferred to moorcroft can interest be added to an existing ccj

Ask Halifax for a statement of your account and see what it says.

Comment

Re: halifax debt transferred to moorcroft can interest be added to an existing ccj

i have phoned collections department, the y checked balance said it was right, they checked i have made my payments, they looked further back and agreed that on the date of my last statement my balance was as i have said, they could not tell me why it was now higher.
      transferred me to complaints, told them the problem and they said they will investigate and get back to me, its been 6 days so far and no call back,
      moorcroft have sent two letters the first pretending to be from halifax but posted from their address in stockport.
      the second telling me to contact them as they were now looking after the debt

Comment

i have phoned collections department, the y checked balance said it was right, they checked i have made my payments, they looked further back and agreed that on the date of my last statement my balance was as i have said, they could not tell me why it was now higher.
        transferred me to complaints, told them the problem and they said they will investigate and get back to me, its been 6 days so far and no call back,
        Well i would give it to next week and then put in a formal complaint in writing about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
          Well i would give it to next week and then put in a formal complaint in writing about this.
          got another letter from moorcroft telling me halifax had received my monthly £5.00 payment which is taken on the first day of the month, the same day they wrote the two letters i have already got.
          they told me to stop sending money to halifax as they wanted me to contact them and arrange a payment plan.
          as i am querying the account balance i don't want to change any ccj payment that i have paid for the last 17 years to halifax until the additional charges are explained and wonder do i have to agree a new payment plan with moorcroft or abide by the ccj?

Comment

Hi
            You have been paying for 17 years?

I am not sure but I believe that if they have not enforced within 6 years they would have to go back to court.

I think that maybe while Halifax have not added interest, the ccj may have allowed for it and they have added it all to bump up the value.

Does the the letter from moorcroft say they are now acting for Halifax or they now own the debt?

others can help you more

Comment

as explained debt followed by ccj for full amount including costs and interest followed by warrant, i then put in for a variation and got it £5.00 per month.
              have paid this for 17 years, i get regular statements the last said my balance was £5802.52, debt transferred to moorcroft had a balance of £9152.67 with no explanation as to how it went up. don't want to deal with moorcroft until inflated figure explained or returned to latest statement amount, if i pay moorcroft it means i accept. how do i fight this

Comment

sorry forgot, phoned halifax they told me they still owned the debt and moorcroft were acting for them, but they have a bad reputation and within days want me to discuss a payplan, can i continue with the £5.00 par month set by the county court on form N41, if i can then i might be in a better position to negotiate a f+f , but if they can overule the ccj variation i am not in a strong position.
                since interest was added before the ccj they have frozen any additional fees up until 1st sept when without warning the debt went up and no explanation?

Comment

As far as I know, Halifax would have to apply to the court to increase the amount.
                  [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]. [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION]

Comment

it sounds bad 17 years at £5.00 per month,but i had a whole lot of other debt, no job, young children mortgage arrears, leaky roof.
                    i tackled all my debts one by one, slowly and have cleared everything except this one, because it was just£5.00 per month and the 6 monthly statements showed it getting smaller i got complacent and repaired the roof and had a holiday instead of immediately trying to clear it.
                    i earn minimum wage

Comment

In answer to your question "can a CCJ continue to attract interest", the answer is no. If the judgment is in relation to a sum of money owed under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, then interest will not accrue on the judgment debt.

Comment

Tell Moorcroft the debt is in dispute with the Halifax.

They can go back to court to ask for the monthly payment to be changed. If your circumstances are the same, then the payment won't change

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
                          Tell Moorcroft the debt is in dispute with the Halifax.

They can go back to court to ask for the monthly payment to be changed. If your circumstances are the same, then the payment won't change
                          i have written to moorcroft to tell them i am in dispute with halifax about the size of the debt
                          i have written to the complaints department at halifax to ask why the statement said one figure and no interest would be added but the balance handed to moorcroft is 3500 higher.
                          i have written to halifax regards subject access for my account, all in the last day.

my circumstances have improved over the last seventeen years, up to the point where i could improve my offer and want to but i was hoping to avoid the additional 3500 they seem to have tagged on

Comment

Originally posted by CLL1 View Post
                            In answer to your question "can a CCJ continue to attract interest", the answer is no. If the judgment is in relation to a sum of money owed under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, then interest will not accrue on the judgment debt.
                            This CCJ was in 1999 and according to national Debt Line it is possible to keep adding interest which may account for the increase as JulieM said above

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...estonaccj.aspx

If i owned the debt and was thinking of selling it , I would be making it as large as possible to attract the maximum profit. I don't trust banks so although NDL say they would have to take you to court again to claim the extra interest it could still be added.

Comment

just found old statement loan taken out 19/10/1990 does this qualify me for an award for oldest debt still being chased, it also makes me realise that when they caught up with me in 1997 it might have been statute barred. but i wasn't aware

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X