• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Potential Dispute over Building Defect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Dispute over Building Defect

Hi,

I'm looking for advice in relation to a potential legal dispute over a building defect on my property.

We bought the property about a year ago, and the previous owners had the loft converted about a year before that. The loft conversion involved the building of a balcony.

The balcony was recently damaged in a storm, and when we had a few tradesmen look at it in order to repair it, we were informed that the construction of the balcony was of a poor standard, and that there were obvious faults with it that led to the storm damage. The balcony itself is somewhat unsafe at the moment so we need to resolve the situation soon. We had three separate tradesmen look at it and all three independently pointed out the same construction faults.

In order to rectify the problem fully, we are probably looking at a bill of £10,000, although that’s only a ballpark figure provided by one of the builders – we haven’t got a proper quote yet.

Some additional considerations:

- The builder who did the conversion had issued a 5 year guarantee for it, and we’re still within the 5 years. However, the guarantee was issued to the previous owner, and it clearly states that it is not transferrable to future owners of the property.
    - We had a full building survey done before we bought the property, and the report didn’t mention any problems with the balcony. We think that the problem should have been spotted, given what the builders who’ve since looked at it have all said.
    - The £10,000 figure relates to the most expensive solution, which is basically rebuilding the entire balcony the way it should have been built in the first place. There are possibly cheaper ways of fixing it but they are patch work jobs that will look bad.
    - Interestingly, the same builder who did the original work also did the loft conversion for our neighbour at a later date and he built the same style balcony for them. However, their balcony was built “properly”, i.e. in the same way as we’ve been advised to rebuild ours now.

My questions in relation to the above are:

1. Do we have a case against either the builder or the surveyor?
    2. If so, what steps should we take next - should we contact the surveyor directly, should we contact a solicitor or should we contact an independent surveyor to ascertain officially whether the first surveyor should have spotted the issue?

Any help would be much appreciated - as we have literally no experience in this sort of thing!
    Tags: None

Re: Potential Dispute over Building Defect

If the balcony was damaged in a storm have you considered claiming for the cost of the repair under your buildings insurance? They would send out a Loss Adjuster to assess the claim.

If the claim is refused due to 'structural defects' or some other reason then obtain an independent survey so that you can either challenge the insurance company's refusal of your claim, or the contractor who may have made errors, or the surveyor who should have picked up any faults (if they existed) when he surveyed it for your purchase last year.

If it's a balcony the chances are it would have required Building Regulations approval from your Local Authority. Have you checked whether the job was 'signed off' by the building inspector?

These are things which your own solicitor should have done when carrying out the conveyancing on your behalf.

Gather the evidence and then you'll know who to target if you have a potential claim.

I would start by making a claim on your buildings insurance.

Di

Comment

Thanks Di.

The reason we didn't involve the insurance company was because the storm damage itself was relatively small (just a shattered pain of glass) and below the excess of our policy. It's more that it brought to light the more serious issue of the construction flaws which now need to be rectified. I doubt very much that the insurance company will cover us for the remedial works but I will try get in touch with them. Failing this, do you think it is worth going down the route of a second surveyor?

Thanks for the tip regarding the building inspector - I will look into this as well.

Comment

Your home insurance might also have a legal expenses cover, which might help if it comes to court.

Comment

Originally posted by mpsp View Post
          it brought to light the more serious issue of the construction flaws which now need to be rectified. I doubt very much that the insurance company will cover us for the remedial works but I will try get in touch with them. Failing this, do you think it is worth going down the route of a second surveyor?
          I would be more inclined to listen to what a qualified surveyor says about the balcony's construction rather than the view of three tradesmen who have all quoted you £10k for them to put things right.

Get them to put those quotes in writing with a work specification detailing what work needs to be done and why. They may just be chasing for work.

If the balcony was part of a loft conversion then there may have also been the need for planning consent if the work meant a change to the 'shape' of exterior of the property (was there a dormer window etc?).

Your solicitor should have been sent all this stuff when you bought the property so ask him what's in his file (he should have given you any information in regards to this at the time).

Di

Comment

A structral engineer might be needed if this was a structural part of the conversion there should have been some calculations done and approved by building control contact them first might save money in finding out the facts

Comment

Originally posted by mpsp View Post
              Thanks for the tip regarding the building inspector - I will look into this as well.
              If the work was done without building regulation approval then there's a potential for the Local Authority to try to make you comply in retrospect.

However if it's 12 months since the work was completed then I believe they cannot enforce it.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X