• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Boiler disabled by insurance contractor, company doesn't want to know!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler disabled by insurance contractor, company doesn't want to know!

Hello,

I had an issue with my boiler over the weekend in that the hot water stopped working however the central heating was absolutely fine. I could hear the pump activating but the boiler wouldn't fire up to heat the water.

I have home emergency cover with SwiftCover and i called the number (which is managed by a third party) and they sent contractor Ron Law to my house, who turned up within about 4 hours or so. He diagnosed the fault (a replacement thermistor) and said he would book it in with the insurance company. While he was there he also decided to check the quality of the water in the heating system as he suggested maybe I could do with a power flush. He unscrewed something on the pump to drain some water, showed me the water quality which was reasonable so I rejected the power flush charge.

After he had left i noticed the central heating wasn't now working. When switching it on, the pump doesn't activate at all, so there's just silence. Also, when trying the hot water, the pump no longer activates, so it seemed like he had not put the pump back into working order.

Anyway the following day Ron Law contacted me to say the insurance company wouldn't be accepting the claim, and they wanted £170 to replace the thermistor, which i was surprised about. I contacted my insurance company and they said they refused the job because the engineer said my boiler has not been maintained to the manufacturer's guidelines, this is despite me having this done last year. I am currently in the process of getting this evidence to present to the company.

The main issue I have now is that the insurance company will not accept that the engineer they sent has caused further issues to my system. She called the engineer while she was on the phone to me who claimed to her that he had not done anything of the sort and he hadn't caused any additional issue.

Her attitude to me was very brusque to put it politely, and she flatly refused to do anything to rectify the situaiton. She said they would stand by their engineer and would not send anybody to my house to rectify the central heating fault the engineer had introduced. All she could advise me is I need to get my own engineer in to diagnose it, write a report and they would "consider" the claim but still not necessarily resolve my issue.

So I have a severe isssue with this company now. Putting aside the existing fault with the thermistor (Which i have since found is a cheap repair anyway) the company have introduced a new fault and they are refusing point blank to do anything about it.

Do i have any recourse here, or is just going to be my word against theirs?

Regards,

StokeUK
    Tags: None

Re: Boiler disabled by insurance contractor, company doesn't want to know!

Hi Stoke,

I think an official complaint to kick start things off really, I think within that complaint you should outline what you were told by the person on the telephone and refer to the date and time if you can recall. Then explain that the central heating was working prior to the Ron Law and it does not since he has left your house. As Ron Law is acting on behalf of Swift, you hold them responsible for his negligible actions. You have tried to get someone back out but this has been refused point blank and now you have no choice but to pay for it to be repaired. Those costs will be invoiced to Swift and you expect repayment accordingly including reasonable compensation for the loss of central heating. You reserve your right to bring proceedings against swift for the recovery of any monies paid including damages for negligence caused by Ron Law.

I know its not a quick fix, you could try to contact Swift again and maybe speak to a manager and see what they say, take his or her name and if you still get nowhere then ask for complaint details and you will be referring to the call in your complaint. Ultimately, if you called Swift about one issue and then after Ron has left your house another unconnected issue then occurs then it can only be logical that it is something caused by Ron.

Its a pain but it depends how fast you want the central heating fixed, it could be simple or it could be complex. You could possibly have both problems fixed at the same time although they may say that you shouldn't have as they have approved contractors to do the work and not pay out. I guess your defence to that is they refused to pay out anyway because of factually incorrect information (presumably given by Ron Law again). However that choice is yours.

i'll tag [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] as well in case has any other suggestions or experience.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Swift.. hmm!

Go along with R0b as above, but ideally would like to see copy of your policy wording.
      I assume it is online so if you could give us a link I'll read it over.

To show you what Swift are like.. a few years ago my daughter had a dispute with them over car insurace claim, and whilst I was "discussing" the issue and pointing out the flaws in the policy wording, they actually changed the online wording!
      Unfortunately for them I had already printed off a copy of the original!

Comment

Common for some heating guys to say system needs a powerflush maybe as this was turned down he sabotaged the boiler waterside

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X