• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car trouble - return within 30 days - CRA 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car trouble - return within 30 days - CRA 2015

Hello,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I bought a car from a trader on the 10/07/2016.
    Returned it the next day due to issues that the engine light was coming on and issues with the gear box
    They kept it for approx a week and said that they changed the transmission oil fluid and a seal
    Got it back a week later and drove it for 10 days on and off and saw that it still had the same problem
    It had also developed new problems of not starting.

Took it back to them on the 31/7 told them there was still problem with gear box and non starting
    Called the AA out while at the trader on 31/7. Said that the Cell of battery has died so the dealership replaced the battery and said this should fix the over all problem
    Left and drove the next day, still the same gearbox problem. took it to Vauxhall on the same day and they have told me it needs a new gear box 3.5k

Told the dealer today that I want to return the car but spent half hour talking to him and he will not give me an answer. I believe I will need to take him to court. giving him a last chance tommorow

TLDR - Bought Astra 3 weeks ago (10/7), turns out it has faulty gear box. Vauhxall confirm it will Cost 3.5k. Trader does not want to refund money.

================================================== ========================

Read about the CRA 2015 that I am entitled to refuse/return a car within 30 days. It is obviously getting pretty close to the 30 day mark

Could someone please advise the steps that I need to do to to return the vehicle? Do I need to write him letter? what forms need to be filled?

Unfortunately I do not have these conversations with the dealer in written form.. was all verbal

What I do have is the invoice from dealer and the quote from Vauxhall stating faulty gear box and price.

Also, the car is in my wifes name but contract/invoice is in mine. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

Many Thanks in Advance
    Tags: None

Re: Car trouble - return within 30 days - CRA 2015

Hi and welcome

You need to write to the dealer and tell him you are exercising your right under CRA 2015 to reject the vehicle as it is unsatisfactory and not fit for purpose.
    Tell him he has to collect the vehicle from xyz at his own cost.
    Also tell him you require a full refund, which has to be made in the same manner in which you paid for it ie cash or cheque or credit via your card, and that it has to be made without undue delay, and within 14 days maximum

How did you pay for it?
    If he becomes problematic you might have a claim against finance company or credit card.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Will write and post a letter to him tomorrow morning.
      I paid for it by a bank transfer. Will the 14 day not take me over the 30 day procedure?
      Do I need to start a procedure before the 30 days pass?

Comment

You need to reject the car within the thirty day period.
        He then has 14 days in which to pay you.

Comment

thanks again.. so if he refuses to pay, what would be my next step?

Comment

If it comes to that you would need to send a "letter before Action" setting out hat has happened, what your rights are, what you require him to do, and set a time limit (14days).
            You warn him if he doesn't comply you will initiate court proceedings (Which you might have to do!)

As a matter of interest is this a company, or a sole trader?

Comment

got it.. hopefully wont come to that.. its a company. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X