• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Chique Photography

Collapse
Loading...
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chique Photography

    Has anyone ever dealt with Chique Photography?

    It all started when my wife met agents working for Chique Photography in town who asked her to enter into a competition to win a free makeover before a photography sitting where of course she would pay for the photos. Obviously, she 'won' as we have now realized that no one has ever lost in that competition. They phoned a couple of days later to tell her of these 'good' news and asked her to pay a 25pound deposit and she paid it.


    On the 25/6/16 we went for the sitting in Huddersfield at our scheduled time slot. There were other people who were having their makeover and we felt it was taking time and contemplated leaving and my wife was told she would lose her 50pound deposit and we decided to wait. After the photo-shoot, we were shown the photos and we had a split second to decide on the package which I must admit that it was dame expensive but we still went for the most expensive package for 995pounds, which was daft on our part because we couldn't leave any of the photos as kids kept saying we love them.

    They did an application for finance which was approved.

    I actually think the staff pressurized us into buying the most expensive package because of the children. We were given the discs with photos and went to car park. We felt that we had been put under undue pressure into buying an expensive package and I rang them and told them that we wanted to come back and downgrade our package. They said no we cant come back, we should phone some numbers on the paperwork. Apparently the numbers were for the two company directors, one male and one female. I only managed to speak with the so called directors after about 13days and they both told me that they were not aware of the whole issue. The female claimed she had been away for 8days and the man said he had no been told. He told me that its almost 14days and that they had already been paid by the finance so I should get in touch with the finance company and hear what they say. I contacted the finance company and they sent us a form to complete so that they would lodge a complaint to chique photography on our behalf.

    Also chique photography after the photo session, they had promised us three printed photos which they said were going to be sent with seven days but nothing has arrived.

    Another point to note, there were no prices displayed for the packages, the prices were be on an A4 paper which they keep in their drawers. So any help out there as we feel this is a well organized scam. Any aspects of the law to help us or trading standards?

    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Chique Photography

    " two company directors,".... but there is no registration at companies house.
    "
    the prices were be on an A4 paper which they keep in their drawers".... 0h la la!

    More seriously, whilst you had 14 days in which to cancel the finance it seems from your description that the trader has probably failed to comply with regulations concerning "on premises" sales.
    Below is a note of the information that should have been given prior to entering a contract.
    It might be worth your while trawling through it to see where they failed to comply, and then take it from there.

    • the main characteristics of the goods, services or digital content. In many cases this will be obvious from the display of the goods or their packaging and no further information would need to be added
    • your identity (such as your trading name), geographical address and telephone number. Your name and address may be obvious for customers on your premises but they should also be informed of a telephone number for further contact
    • the total price of the goods, services or digital content including all taxes - for example, VAT, or, if the price is not known, how the price will be calculated
    • details of any additional delivery charges or, where this cannot be calculated in advance, an indication that a delivery charge will be payable
    • where applicable, arrangements for payment, delivery or performance and the time that you will take to deliver the goods, perform the services or supply the digital content
    • if you have one, your complaint-handling policy. Providers of services should have a complaint-handling policy in place as required by the Provision of Services Regulations 2009. In addition TSI approved codes of practice and some trade associations and professional bodies will also require a policy to be in place, which must be made available to consumers
    • if you are selling goods you should remind consumers that the goods you sell must be in conformity with the contract - for example, you might say: 'It is our responsibility to supply you with goods that meet your consumer rights. If you have any concerns that we have not met our legal obligations please contact us'
    • if there are any after sales services or guarantees available you must make consumers aware of this and any applicable conditions. In many cases this will be obvious from the display of the goods or their packaging and no further information would need to be added
    • if the consumer will be entering into a contract of a fixed duration, he must be informed what this is. If the contract has no fixed length, or can be extended automatically he must be informed of the conditions under which he can terminate it
    • digital content functionality - this includes information about its language, duration, file type, access, updates, tracking, internet connection, geographical restrictions and any additional purchases required
    • digital content compatibility - information regarding both hardware and other software

    The Regulations do not specify how this information has to be made available, the important thing is that consumers have this information given or available to them. It is likely that this will be achieved by a variety of means, such as the goods themselves, notices or price lists on display, or making a contract available for a consumer to read before they agree to be bound by it. The acid test is that this information must be clear and comprehensible to the consumer before he enters into the contract.
    If you need to change any of this information before entering into a contract, or at a later stage, you must agree this with the consumer. Failure to do so will mean that the consumer is not bound by the change of information.
    Failure to provide the information set out above would allow a consumer to claim that you have a breached your contract with him and seek an appropriate remedy. The consumer would also be able to claim, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, that you had breached your contract if he found that any of the above information that you had provided was incorrect.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Chique Photography

      Hi Gary,

      Did you manage to sort out this situation? I've, unfortunately, fallen for the same thing and our situations sound very similar! Ive tried to cancel my credit agreement but they are stating it is unregulated therefore not cancellable?

      Are you able to advise if you have managed to sort this out or whether you have had to continue with the agreement please?

      Any help / advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Chique Photography

        Hi KLouise

        Have you checked that the credit agreement complies with regulations for unregulated agreements?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Chique Photography

          Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Hi KLouise

          Have you checked that the credit agreement complies with regulations for unregulated agreements?
          She's got a thread here Des xx
          http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...766#post675766
          Debt is like any other trap, easy enough to get into, but hard enough to get out of.

          It doesn't matter where your journey begins, so long as you begin it...

          recte agens confido

          ~~~~~

          Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

          I can be emailed if you need my help loading pictures/documents to your thread. My email address is Kati@legalbeagles.info
          But please include a link to your thread so I know who you are.

          Specialist advice can be sought via our sister site JustBeagle

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Chique Photography

            Thank you, I'll have a good look through the links and check it thoroughly

            🖒

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Chique Photography

              Originally posted by KLouise87 View Post
              Hi Gary,

              Did you manage to sort out this situation? I've, unfortunately, fallen for the same thing and our situations sound very similar! Ive tried to cancel my credit agreement but they are stating it is unregulated therefore not cancellable?

              Are you able to advise if you have managed to sort this out or whether you have had to continue with the agreement please?

              Any help / advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

              Thanks
              Hi Louise
              We got in touch with the finance company and we explained to them everything that transpired. They sent some complaint forms and I detailed everything and they said they were going to contact Chique photography on our behalf and would give a response from Chique photography within 8 weeks. But in the meantime, We also told the finance company that we are not going to pay anything until the matter is resolved especially taking into consideration the fact that the free photos were never delivered and we no longer need them.
              On the part you said the agreement is unregulated, I am not very sure about it, so in my own opinion if its unregulated so is the debt also unenforceable in a court of law? Then if so, so why pay it then?
              According to what I have been searching online about complaints made to the financial ombudsman about sale of goods and services, some finance companies were held responsible where deception has been proved on the part of the said provider of goods/services. But in this case I am not sure since you said you have been told its unregulated.
              In the meantime we are still waiting for the response from chique photography via the finance company. When we get the response I hope to update you. IF you also happen to find helpful information elsewhere please share with me .
              Thanks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Chique Photography

                I think you will find unregulated agreements are only not subject to the regulations of the consumer Credit Acts and that from a consumers viewpoint this reduces protection, and the contract remains enforceable via the courts
                That is why I suggested checking that the retailer had complied with the "on premises" sales regulations

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Chique Photography

                  Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  I think you will find unregulated agreements are only not subject to the regulations of the consumer Credit Acts and that from a consumers viewpoint this reduces protection, and the contract remains enforceable via the courts
                  That is why I suggested checking that the retailer had complied with the "on premises" sales regulations

                  How can this company get away with this. My daughter has also been subject to this Aggressive selling with misleading infomation. She left with a disc of photos for 1200 - daylight robbery. She was pressurised and rushed and didnt properly understand what she was signing. There were no prices on display.

                  did anyone on here ever resolve their complaint against Chique?

                  thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi iv had the same done to me today I felt so under pressure to buy the disc I was also asked to sign something wasn't allowed to read what I was signing cos I was so pressured I sign thinking it was for my photos and the copy right have a chance of fighting this I can't afford 995 for photos

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      QUOTE=Jade21;n1387788]Hi iv had the same done to me today I felt so under pressure to buy the disc I was also asked to sign something wasn't allowed to read what I was signing cos I was so pressured I sign thinking it was for my photos and the copy right have a chance of fighting this I can't afford 995 for photos [/QUOTE]

                      so sorry to hear this Jade. My advice would be to get onto. The finance company as quickly as possible and tell them and the6 will put a stop on the payments while they investigate the complaint. This gives you a bit if time. Also write to Chique immeadiately with your complaint . And finally ring Citizens advice and ask rhem fir help and to refer to trading standards - the more people who complain the more likely they are to do somethung about it.

                      we have exhausted the duspute pricess with the finance company ( who were very helpful) and have now wriitten to the finance ombudsman

                      good luck and ket me know how you get along
                      these people must be stopped they are preying on vulnerable people

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KLouise87 View Post
                        Re: Chique Photography

                        Hi Gary,

                        Did you manage to sort out this situation? I've, unfortunately, fallen for the same thing and our situations sound very similar! Ive tried to cancel my credit agreement but they are stating it is unregulated therefore not cancellable?

                        Are you able to advise if you have managed to sort this out or whether you have had to continue with the agreement please?

                        Any help / advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

                        Thanks
                        I know my reply is very very late, my apologies for that. I wrote to financial ombudsman and they said they don't regulate the nature of business that chique photography is in, something to that effect although I cant remember the exact wording. I then wrote a letter to the finance company that financed the deal when they had sent me a statement of what I owed., I explained to them that they should stop contacting me unless they resolve that issue and that I was willing to go court if they want their money because I had not received my free photos and the conduct of chique photography staff I had complained about when we had the photos taken. That was more than a year ago and since then I have not received anything and have not paid anything since leave chique photography premises in 2016.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jade21 View Post
                          Hi iv had the same done to me today I felt so under pressure to buy the disc I was also asked to sign something wasn't allowed to read what I was signing cos I was so pressured I sign thinking it was for my photos and the copy right have a chance of fighting this I can't afford 995 for photos
                          Hi Jade21
                          What you need to do is get in touch with the finance company whose details are listed on the finance forms and explain to them that they should reverse the deal or they go ahead and pay chique photography at their own peril and tell them that you will cancel the direct debit, probably that way they will act. When I tried to complain to the "manager" at chique, they kept on saying he is away, until after about 10days or so, when the finance company had paid them, that's when I spoke to the so called manager who told me that they had been paid and he told me to get in touch with the finance company as there was nothing he could do about it. To me its an organised way to get away with peoples money, so just get in touch with the finance company. please remember to post what happens thereafter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gary94 View Post
                            Has anyone ever dealt with Chique Photography? It all started when my wife met agents working for Chique Photography in town who asked her to enter into a competition to win a free makeover before a photography sitting where of course she would pay for the photos. Obviously, she 'won' as we have now realized that no one has ever lost in that competition. They phoned a couple of days later to tell her of these 'good' news and asked her to pay a 25pound deposit and she paid it.
                            On the 25/6/16 we went for the sitting in Huddersfield at our scheduled time slot. There were other people who were having their makeover and we felt it was taking time and contemplated leaving and my wife was told she would lose her 50pound deposit and we decided to wait. After the photo-shoot, we were shown the photos and we had a split second to decide on the package which I must admit that it was dame expensive but we still went for the most expensive package for 995pounds, which was daft on our part because we couldn't leave any of the photos as kids kept saying we love them. They did an application for finance which was approved. I actually think the staff pressurized us into buying the most expensive package because of the children. We were given the discs with photos and went to car park. We felt that we had been put under undue pressure into buying an expensive package and I rang them and told them that we wanted to come back and downgrade our package. They said no we cant come back, we should phone some numbers on the paperwork. Apparently the numbers were for the two company directors, one male and one female. I only managed to speak with the so called directors after about 13days and they both told me that they were not aware of the whole issue. The female claimed she had been away for 8days and the man said he had no been told. He told me that its almost 14days and that they had already been paid by the finance so I should get in touch with the finance company and hear what they say. I contacted the finance company and they sent us a form to complete so that they would lodge a complaint to chique photography on our behalf.
                            Also chique photography after the photo session, they had promised us three printed photos which they said were going to be sent with seven days but nothing has arrived.
                            Another point to note, there were no prices displayed for the packages, the prices were be on an A4 paper which they keep in their drawers. So any help out there as we feel this is a well organized scam. Any aspects of the law to help us or trading standards?
                            Thank you in advance for your help.
                            I have had this experience yesterday and I'm so annoyed that they pressured me into getting a package deal which I can't afford. I'm so annoyed that they are made out of won but really I havnt They probes rang everyone to say they'd won. I'm ringing them to today to see if I can cancel any advice would be great or if anyone had manages to cancel with them before thanks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have had this experience yesterday and I'm so annoyed that they pressured me into getting a package deal which I can't afford. I'm so annoyed that they are made out of won but really I havnt They probes rang everyone to say they'd won. I'm ringing them to today to see if I can cancel any advice would be great or if anyone had manages to cancel with them before thanks.

                              Comment

                              View our Terms and Conditions

                              LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

                              If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.


                              If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X