• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA Group/ Welcome Financial Services - Chasing a default over 10 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA Group/ Welcome Financial Services - Chasing a default over 10 years

Hi
    PRA Group debt collection company is chasing for a debts that are over 10years old (in one instance over 20years)?

I have defaults that PRA Group are still sending me collection notices for. Unfortunately, one of them was Welcome Financial Services, a debt claiming I owed £5444 form 2006. They offered me a settlement figure of £544, and I paid it this year. I'm thinking now after reading some of the threads on here that I've been duped a little and I should not have paid it. I have more recent defaults that the money could have been better used for, but was scared I may be faced with a CCJ so just paid it.

The debts they are chasing are not on my credit file

I've received no notification from PRA Group that the payment was made either. I have also just put in a claim with the FSCS to reclaim my PPI from WFS.
    Is there any way I can get my money back from PRA?
    Tags: None

Re: PRA Group/ Welcome Financial Services - Chasing a default over 10 years

If you agreed a settlement and paid it ( around 10% of the debt) then you have probably lost your opportunity to challenge the debt. It does sound like it was statute barred at the time you paid, and settling may well have avoided the stress of defending a county court claim.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Cda2212 View Post
      Hi
      PRA Group debt collection company is chasing for a debts that are over 10years old (in one instance over 20years)?

I have defaults that PRA Group are still sending me collection notices for. Unfortunately, one of them was Welcome Financial Services, a debt claiming I owed £5444 form 2006. They offered me a settlement figure of £544, and I paid it this year. I'm thinking now after reading some of the threads on here that I've been duped a little and I should not have paid it. I have more recent defaults that the money could have been better used for, but was scared I may be faced with a CCJ so just paid it.

The debts they are chasing are not on my credit file

I've received no notification from PRA Group that the payment was made either. I have also just put in a claim with the FSCS to reclaim my PPI from WFS.
      Is there any way I can get my money back from PRA?
      have they issued any court proceedings yet?
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi

I have never had any court proceedings issued for any of the debts they are chasing. One of the outstanding debts is for a store card that I had in my mid to late 20's. I'm now almost 46. Surely they can not still chase for this debt?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          If you agreed a settlement and paid it ( around 10% of the debt) then you have probably lost your opportunity to challenge the debt. It does sound like it was statute barred at the time you paid, and settling may well have avoided the stress of defending a county court claim.
          I am so stupid, I knew about SB but it went right out of my head, when I saw the notice come through and they were only asking for £544 I automatically just though wow that's cheap, pay it quick, so I paid.
          PRA should surely send me some kind of notification that the debt has been settled??

Comment

Yes they should confirm the debt has been settled. Did you send a letter or anything with your payment or just do a transfer etc ?

That other one should be statute barred now - you can send them a letter to say so if you like if they are bugging you about it.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I paid online via their online payment system.

Comment

Hi everyone, I recently received an email from HqBILL.NET they said I have to pay 104.70 pounds for an account made on datebeach.co.uk. Shame on me I have made the account I have made a purchase of 4 or 5 pounds, something like that with my debit card, but I didn't notice any 104.70 tax. They have not took my money then, but I received that e-mail in 23/08 and they've told me they will. Recently I checked my card and I have noticed that I have a blocked sum of exactly 104.70 pounds. I have spoke with my bank agent and he told me that I can make a complain at the nearest police station, destroy my card and block it, but only if I didn't entered my card details on the site. If I entered my details, and made the complain I will get a criminal record... what can I do to get my money back ? I didn't know and I don t remember to be told of any premium account for 3 months that costs104.70 pounds. HELP HELP HELP.

I didn't know where to post this, sorry.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X