• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Financial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Financial

Hello Everyone
    This is my first time posting here can I just say beforehand a big thank you to any replies I get...So here it goes about 4 years ago I allowed someone to take out credit catalogue accounts in my name on the understanding they would make all there minimum payments until its paid off....Only they didn't so therefore I am liable for there debts I refused to pay as I was thinking I didn't do it why should I have to pay it in the end Lowell financial bought the default accounts I have never acknowledged anything from them.. I'm not a well person I have (GAD) generalised anxiety disorder so I'm not really able to work at the moment my anxiety levels are super high and these debts with Lowell aren't helping realistically I cannot not pay them a thing as I only receive Jobseekers allowance I have read about asking for debt to be written off but I'm not sure how to do this also I got a copy of my credit profile and under CCJ'S I can see I have 1 from Lowell in the amount of £1008 I was never informed about this CCJ so it came as a shock I've been told about applying for a waiver/reduced amount but again I don't know hot to do this I don't really have anyone I can turn to at the moment I just feel like a total broken person with my anxiety...I just want to get some peace of mind back so I can concentrate on getting better really would appreciate any help I can get
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Financial

Originally posted by Jonny28 View Post
    I don't really have anyone I can turn to at the moment I just feel like a total broken person with my anxiety...I just want to get some peace of mind back so I can concentrate on getting better really would appreciate any help I can get
    I know you may feel broken right now but you're not You're the same person you've always been before you were knocked off your perch by these debts and legal claims.

Maybe look at this logically. If you're on JSA and have no assets (do you own your home?) then they can't get blood out of a stone can they? There are so many people in the same situation as you who are paying their creditors only £1 per month token payments.

Are you still in touch (or could you find) the "someone" who ran up the catalogue debt in your name?

Di

Comment

Hi Di
      Thank you for replying to me yes still in contact with that person but they really aren't in a position to pay and its someone very close to me so I don't want to cause any rifts at the moment cos I really won't be able to cope I do get JSA I read on another thread about sending 3 letters which would make some kind of agreement so I wouldn't be bothered by them I'm literally driving myself nuts with this I just want everything to stop

Comment

Are Lowell Financial writing to you about these debts or has the problem been escalated to Lowell Solicitors?

It seems that at least you've not yet been issued with a county court summons yet.

(The CCJ you've already got is a separate issue.)

How much do the debts total?

Di

Comment

Hi Jonny,

do you know what the total value of these debts is?
          do you have any other debts at all, eg an overdraft?
          are you renting or buying?

You probably have three options (I'm guessing a bit here, your answers to the above questions could change these):

1. ask for a write off because of your mental health issues. The fact that someone else actually used your account isn't going to help you with this, but if your doctor could complete a DMHEF form (http://www.malg.org.uk/debt-and-mental-health/) that would. Getting write offs isn't easy and I do suggest getting your local Citizens Advice to help with this, see http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/...mon/write-off/.

2. start making token payments to the debts. This wouldn't "solve" the problem but it could reduce the pressure on you and in a when you are better you could start paying them off. If you feel you may be able to get back to work in a year or so this could well be a good option, see http://debtcamel.co.uk/token-payment-debt/.

3. opt for a Debt Relief Order which would get rid of the debts. This would only be possible if you are renting. It might also feel like "overkill" if your debt total is small, but it would be pretty simple and remove the stress. More information: http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/dro/.

I gave those links, because I hope that reading up about the three options will help you see that you do have different ways forward. But I think you should talk to a debt adviser who can help you look at all three options and decide which will work best for you. Your local Citizens Advice would be best as they could help whichever of the three options you decide to go for, helping with letters for write offs or token payments or setting up a DRO.

Comment

Hi Di
            I read on another thread about sending 3 letters which would make some kind of agreement so I wouldn't be bothered by them
            These are legal nonsense - please forget all about this "option". You may feel desperate but you have sensible choices that will work.

Comment

Hi a big thank you for all your replies from what I can see on my credit profile the Debts are as follows
              Lowell £1008 <CCJ
              Lowell £264
              Lowell £622
              Lowell £192
              Lowell £131
              Lowel £143
              I don't have any other default debts I do have a credit card and I always make repayments on time I was considering using it to pay it all off but that would push up interest and I don't think I'd be able to afford my minimum payments and its Lowell Finanacial that are writing

Comment

OK they add up to £2359.

Your credit card, do you have a balance on it or do you pay it in full each month?
                Are you up to date with council tax and utility bills?

Using your credit card to pay these Lowell balances is definitely a bad idea - at the moment it may be hard to repay them but at least interest isn't being added!

S

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
                  OK they add up to £2359.

Your credit card, do you have a balance on it or do you pay it in full each month?
                  Are you up to date with council tax and utility bills?

Using your credit card to pay these Lowell balances is definitely a bad idea - at the moment it may be hard to repay them but at least interest isn't being added!

S
                  I do have a balance on the credit card but I always make the minimum payment...it's paid via direct debit and I don't pay council tax at the moment I'm back living with my parents..I thought the same about the credit card it would just be more debt

Comment

Hey I was just looking at some of theses debts on my credit profile and I think at least 3 of them should be statute barred by now the account start dates add up but the registered time of defaults is incorrect where do I stand with that...and thank you everyone I really appreciate your replies and just having someone to talk to makes me feel better

Comment

and thank you everyone I really appreciate your replies and just having someone to talk to makes me feel better
                      That's good to hear

Just keep telling yourself 'it's only money'.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X