• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

That referendum ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: That referendum ...

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    No it isn't, at all.

We elect our MEPs

We elect the PM ( well, unless there's a leadership change in which case our elected MP's select one) - still elected if not directly

The Ministers are elected MP's

Thus it is only people who have been elected by us that go forward to represent us in the EU. ??

Who are the unelected bureaucrats that people speak of quite a lot? the people elected by other countries ? ( I'm not being facetious btw I am trying to understand)
    The courts in the UK appoint judges, they're not voted in. In the UK, we have a Parliament Supreme Constitution. The people vote the Commons in; the Lords are appointed for their experience or they previously inherited their place subject to Labour's reforms. The EU Commissioners (Executive of the EU institution) are appointed from the member state government (ie Executive member of the UK's government branch), or heads of state, by the EU organisation for their experience, albeit to benefit the EU's system and not UK Parliament's, which according to A V Dicey (public law Victorian professor) is to serve the people. The people in a general election do not vote members into Parliament (ie the Government as well as the rest of the Commoners) on the condition that they may be appointed as EU Commissioners. MPs are appointed on the condition that they make laws as the UK's legislator in Parliament to serve the UK's citizens solely. We therefore could not know the potential EU Commissioners' brand of politics at the general election so they're not elected for that reason in that sense.

The Constitution of the EU is not a Parliament Supremacy type as per the UK's. MEPs (EU Member of Parliament) is a separate process; but a bit like the Commoners in that they're elected as quasi legislators but not for the interests of the UK's 60 plus million population, but rather representing the between state (member state) interests of the EU's institutions, or indirectly the - to an extent - affected 500 EU citizens by the EU's institutions. I use quasi because the real power in the UK is in government just like the real power in the EU's constitution is the Commission. The EU Commission - as the Executive of the EU institution - are appointed to ensure the EU's Treaties are adhered to. The MEPs are not appointed to make EU Treaty law but are elected probably to have a say in potentially primary EU legislation as Regulation but probably more likely secondary EU legislation such as ie Directives. EU Treaties, EU Regulations, ECJ decisions have automatic effect on the UK's legal system. EU Directives are secondary legislation so are not automatically binding on the UK but they must serve 'a desired effect' of the EU.

Comment

Worrying times guaranteed but a level head is needed, apart from the vote has anything really changed as of yet? We are still in Europe and will be for a few more years as far as my understanding is yet people are already using it as an excuse to change there life. I have much respect for you PT but a judge throwing out a case based around EU law while we are still in seems like someone who needs to be brought to task. Markets going crazy is just the Spivs making a fortune on uncertainty and a lot of other warnings are from people/organisations who are out to chastise the UK for starting the rot. I am deeply concerned about the way this is heading but I was also deeply concerned about the way the EU was heading. What happens now if there was a way that someone finds to derail the process before it truly gets started are all of these people like the judges going to rescind there decisions they are making now?.

Comment

MEPs - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/vote2014/eu-uk-results

So I think, in all that, you are saying the the 'unelected bureaucrats' people talk about are the Commissioners ?

Lord Hill resigned today ( just out of interest - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7102606.html )

edit: and an article by him on Wednesday - https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes I think the decision is stupid but that doesn't make those who believed that was the right decision stupid. The whole referendum battle was appalling and I am not bloody suprised people had no idea which way to turn or what leaving ( or staying ) would actually mean in reality.

On your petrol price thing, has anyone said that petrol prices will rice because of leaving the EU ? I can imagine it would do for a little bit while the markets are in turmoil ref the price of oil, and the currency rates of course, but I don't know how being in / or out of the EU affects our import duty / vat / knock on effects of running petrol stations etc etc ( which are the bigger costs within our petrol price)
          The whole EU referendum was a dog's dinner. The implications of this were not made known to the average Joe public. Instead there was either blatant lies or half truths, exaggerations. The government did no better except prance around the country in a helicopter at virtually the last minute. Cameron should not have given the UK a referendum until the public were adequately equipped to make informed decisions. The politicians should be ashamed of their selves. When you have Boris, Gove, Farage et al on one side, and 'Call me Dave' Cameron, the other Tories and Labour's MPs on the other, it was just so confusing for the public. Given the 40 year relationship with the EU - there should have been at least a year public enquiry and then produce a report. It would have stopped the political elite labelling the Brexit-ers racist bigots, too. Perhaps then the Br-exit-minded public could have made an informed choice if a referendum were offered by Cameron. Then the 6 million pound waste of words leaflet could have reinforced the public enquiry's findings. Instead, we have a referendum on the cheap (relatively anyway, given what was involved or the risks). Instead we had a disenfranchised public putting an X, with the effect of a text or email communication sent by someone on impulse who regrets their decision afterwards.

Comment

MEPs - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/vote2014/eu-uk-results

So I think, in all that, you are saying the the 'unelected bureaucrats' people talk about are the Commissioners ?

Lord Hill resigned today ( just out of interest - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7102606.html )

edit: and an article by him on Wednesday - https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw
            The bureaucrats, by that I mean foreign political elites who do not care what Joe public thinks and like an elite club pay themselves rather well, like bankers even if they haven't performed too well: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nds-today.html, such as bankers. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2...ith-democracy/

Comment

http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-info...s/index_en.htm

Comment

A friend is now facing the collapse of her small business which employs 12 staff. They make jams and chutneys and export to Europe as well as UK sales.
                The damage is 2 fold, the British fruit growers are already concerned at losing their European seasonal pickers so anticipate sharp price rises for next season and the restrictions that will now obstruct her free trade with Europe.
                These together will place too much pressure on a business that was already tough, so 12 jobs lost and a wonderful, quintessentially English food company which is stocked in Selfridges will vanish forever.
                "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                  The people in a general election do not vote members into Parliament (ie the Government as well as the rest of the Commoners) on the condition that they may be appointed as EU Commissioners. MPs are appointed on the condition that they make laws as the UK's legislator in Parliament to serve the UK's citizens solely. We therefore could not know the potential EU Commissioners' brand of politics at the general election so they're not elected for that reason in that sense.
                  The next Prime Minister won't be elected as such, he/she will be appointed according to the preference of the Conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                    A friend is now facing the collapse of her small business which employs 12 staff. They make jams and chutneys and export to Europe as well as UK sales.
                    The damage is 2 fold, the British fruit growers are already concerned at losing their European seasonal pickers so anticipate sharp price rises for next season and the restrictions that will now obstruct her free trade with Europe.
                    These together will place too much pressure on a business that was already tough, so 12 jobs lost and a wonderful, quintessentially English food company which is stocked in Selfridges will vanish forever.
                    Bit presumptious imo and no mention of the eu laws thst restrict small businesses full stop, how many have gone under because of the pressures and costs which only the big businesses can cope with.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36628398
                      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

It is beginning to get too depressive at the moment which isn't good. When you get married its for richer /poorer and in sickness and in health. Great leaders and governments are elected and remembered for leading from the bad times as well as good yet it seems that ours have all bailed because they haven't got there way. We have voted to start cutting ties with EU but we haven't actually done anything yet and everybody in the country is acting as though someone has built a great big wall around our island overnight. A powerful person needs to get up and tell people that it is business as usual until changes actually start to happen, which may be some time yet. Until then people need to start to learn how and if they have to adapt in anyway. It is sad that businesses believe they are finished already and even sadder that the elected leaders haven't thought this might happen and have policies in place to counter it.

Comment

I go back to my previous post........................please tell me at least one good thing to come out this result ?

No, i'm not just talking about my circumstances, I want to know how we, as a country, will benefit & how we can do this to our generation of youngsters who know nothing else ?

Comment

errrrrrrrr ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????? Headache

Comment

that petition is at 1.6mill nearly 10% of whats needed, GET EVERYONE TO SIGN IT....
                              crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

The referendum just showed how Politicians had a cause which they new nothing about - old boys net of stupidity! and gross negligence, then sign a letter we are behind you and we lied! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh world in a mess wonder why!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X