• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

If my N244 strike out fails what is max legal costs respondant can charge for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my N244 strike out fails what is max legal costs respondant can charge for?

I want to submit a N244 Application to strike out a defence for abuse ref Without Predjudice rule, but not asking for summary judgment (just hoping judge gives me allowance to enter default judgment).

If it fails what is the max legal costs that respondant could charge for?

I would ask for "without hearing".

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: If my N244 strike out fails what is max legal costs respondant can charge for?

It should be limited to the costs applicable in the track the claim will be heard, so if its small claims then those costs provisions apply which if is without a hearing, which would eb virtually nothing.

Not entirely sure a strike out will be granted to be honest. If the Defendant has raised WP in its evidence then the courts generally adjourn, disallow the WP evidence and have another judge hear the trial instead.
    It could be seen as unfair if the defendant has an arguable case and leaves the judges decision open to appeal.

Guess we will wait and see what happens.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: If my N244 strike out fails what is max legal costs respondant can charge for?

Hi, the claim is under £3,000 so it would be headed for the small claims.

As I am not asking for summary judgment, would it be more likely that even if the judge struck out all of the defence statement, would he do an unless order giving the defendant the chance to submit a new defence with no WP?

Note the current defence is entirely WP.

Thanks

Comment

Yes that is an alternative and a real possibility that the judge might consider. Obviously i do not know what was said before making your application but in terms of strike out applications, they are more likely to be granted where you have pointed out the issues to the other side prior to making the application. If you just make the application without notice and not informing the other side, the judge is likely to offer the defendant an opportunity to correct the mistake and as you have said, an amended witness statement without any WP evidence.

Alternatively the judge might just strike it out but as I pointed out would be grounds for an appeal if done unfairly and judges don't like that so they sometimes tend to err on the side of caution.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Ok thanks, that's very helpful. I am really not sure if the defendant understands WP and her defence deliberately refers to it on the basis that the WP settlement offer was accepted, it was not but she is claiming there was a "verbal agreement" which I deny, or, if she is unaware, but I strongly suspect the former.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X