• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with disciplinary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with disciplinary

Hi
    I have a friend at work who has just been informed that he will face a disciplinary.
    The whole thing sounds like he's being singled out by his new line manager so I said I would get some advice for him here.

As of the beginning of May Mr Smith was working under a new line manager in the IT department of a retail store, In the previous 3 years of working there he has never had to work a bank holiday however this changed during May.

Working the bank holiday isn't the issue it's the fact that he was told to work on a face to face customer service area (no previous experience in this area) with only 3 hours training given by a teenager (the line managers daughter) who doesn't work for the company.

On the day he was working with a member of staff until 14:30pm after that he was left alone for almost 3 hours and over run with consumers thus making a few administrations errors.
    The following day he received a ticking off from one the company's directors and a week later his line manager has now informed him of a disciplinary hearing.

Can the company do this ?.
    Tags: None

Re: Help with disciplinary

Contract is the place to start. What does it say the person is employed to do ?

Comment

Re: Help with disciplinary

Also, the company's policy on Disciplinary procedures should be accessible, either in writing or via the company intranet.

It should reflect the ACAS guidance. (See here)

As 'Mr Smith' has been working there for over 2 years, he has statutory rights under the ERA 1996 , as well as those provided via his contract of employment. (As long as he is employed, not self-employed).
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X