• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot and the saga of Appointed Representatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot and the saga of Appointed Representatives

Hi everyone,
    After battling with DCA's over the last couple of years with great success using information absorbed from this brilliant site, I'm now in need of a bit of clarification as I'm struggling to accept the concept of appointed representatives by companies that are no longer registered with the FCA....in particular Marlin/Cabot or whatever they're calling themselves today.

As I've read on lots of threads, particularly those of PT2537, The FCA are allowing 'non-registered' companies to appoint a 'registered' company to act of their behalf for the purposes of chasing/collecting their bought debts. Now, I may be a bit dim, but how on earth can this be legal?? I thought that if you were not registered to do business in the consumer credit business then that's it...you can't. You can't contact people, pass on their personal data to another company, sell on the debt etc etc.

So the question here is, how can they appoint someone else when it states on the FCS website that "The principle is responsible for the appointed representative's activities". Surely if the principle is responsible then they are also accountable therefore breaking the rules?? Or am I simply going mad!!
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot and the saga of Appointed Representatives

Any help here would be really appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Hi Dazzled, Apologies for not spotting your post yesterday xx

It is a bit of a big topic, and I am afraid I don't know the definitive answer.

With Cabot, they are authorised and have trading names authorised - so the one licence covers the listed companies.

Cabot Credit Management Group Limited - Firm 677910 - Authorised

Midland Credit Management India Private Limited
      Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited
      Apex Credit Management Limited
      Cabot Credit Management
      Cabot Financial (Marlin) Limited

Then they have their appointed representative firms
      Cabot Financial (Marlin) Limited (t/as CFM,Cabot,Cabot Financial)
      Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited (t/as CCM,CCm,CFE,Cabot,Cabot Credit Management )

Which can act on their principal's licence - ie. Cabot Credit Management Group Ltd. ( and the principal takes the fall if there are any breaches)
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the reply Amethyst.

Yes, I understand the concept of what they're doing (although it seems bonkers that they don't just get authorised themselves and stop confusing everyone!!), but if a CCC is issued does this have to be in the name of the company that actually owns the debt (and not authorised) or can the representative bring the claim? I always thought only the owner of a debt could do this?

Comment

The company that owns the debt should bring the claim.

Which company is bringing the claim against you?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, who according to the FCA register have a lapsed registration.

Comment

Put them to strict proof and see what turns up. If they don't, they lose. That's what i'd do unless a judge had already ruled otherwise. I wouldn't believe evrything that Cabot say on the matter.

M1

Comment

Thank you for the replies.
                So far they have issued a claim and I am defending it. I've asked for proof of debt from Restons who basically told me they didn't have to supply anything as I should already have copies of everything anyway. I've sent a CCA request off to Cabot with my £1 fee and of course they don't have any paperwork either and they've requested it from Capital 1.

So state of things at the moment is the case is stayed until they produce something. What is apparent is that Restons have issued the claim in a rush as it was due to be SB in March and have done so without even one shred of evidence and a client who doesn't appear to be registered with the FCA.
                I just want to be sure I'm talking sense when I write to them and tell them as much!

Comment

How long have they stayed the claim for? You could consider a strike out on the basis of abuse of process especially if the claim was likely to be statute barred.

You may wish to take a look at this particular case and more specificially paragraph 37 which may be of use to you -> http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Comm/2007/642.html.

P.s. if CF UK is the claimant and their licence has lapsed then they are of course comitting a criminal offence, I would disagree that they are covered by the supposed "group company" as the FCA does not issue group licences, each business has to have their own as far as I believe. It was only under the OFT's remit that group licences were issued and subsidiaries could use it.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X