• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Repossessed - Charging order granted and lots of charges added Help Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Repossessed - Charging order granted and lots of charges added Help Please

Hi All,

I am tearing my hair out, and could do with some advice/pointers in the right direction :-)

In 2010 both myself and my husband were made redundant. We managed on savings for around 6 months, when our funds ran out we were advised by a debt charity to write to all out creditors and ask for reduced payments wile we tried to get back on our feet.

Most accepted and to be fair allowed us to pay less each month,and all of these are now clear :-) except Mercedes Benz, we wrote to them and asked what the procedure was for sending the car back (we were one month behind at this point) They sent court forms for repossession. I spoke to the customer manager and said we were quite happy to give it back, we bought the car in 2008 brand new and needed to hand it back in August 2011 They said that they needed to go to court, which they did and got a order for repossession.

The car went back and was sold for 7000 via auction, we felt this was a little low but were in no place mentally to really do much about it. We offered to pay the remaining balance at £65 per month it was all we could afford, and was fair to other creditors so everyone was getting something. They rejected this offer and went to court in November 2012 for a charging order on our property.

Again we were in no place mentally to really know what to do, and we just wanted it all to stop and try and get paying it and put our lives back together.

The charging order was granted and the judge accepted our income and expenditure and allowed us to pay the balance or around £7k at £65 to be reviewed as and when we could afford more.

Fast forward to 2016 we are due to receive a family inheritance and we expected the balance to be around £5k (we asked in 2015 and it was £5400) we asked for a settlement figure and the breakdown is below

Instructed Balance £12,838.65
    Less rebate £769.32
    Less Sale proceeds £7,000.00
    Plus Sale Costs £175.00
    Plus repossession fees £266.00
    Plus interest granted on Judgment £1,355.54
    Plus Issue, Judgment and Final Charging Order costs £854.20
    Less payments totalling £1,820.00

Remaining balance £5,900.07.

It really is the gift that keeps on giving, I assumed that the charging order figure was the total amount that they could claim, interest and charges have all been added into the instructed balance? and Mercedez Benz will have received in excess of the orginal credit agreement for the car.

The solicitor also implies that a ccj will be added when the charging order is paid, but there was never a CCJ applied for or showed up on any of my credit reports with the three agencies.

I am just so confused I want to pay them off and never have to think about it again, but rather than going down it just keeps going up, I don't really get what all the charges are and if they are allowed to do this and I doing understand the implication of a CCJ being entered 4 years after the orginal charging order.

Any insights or help would be so very helpful

Thank you in advance

Yorkshire Grey
    Tags: None

Re: Car Repossessed - Charging order granted and lots of charges added Help Please

Originally posted by yorkshiregrey View Post
    Hi All,

I am tearing my hair out, and could do with some advice/pointers in the right direction :-)

In 2010 both myself and my husband were made redundant. We managed on savings for around 6 months, when our funds ran out we were advised by a debt charity to write to all out creditors and ask for reduced payments wile we tried to get back on our feet.

Most accepted and to be fair allowed us to pay less each month,and all of these are now clear :-) except Mercedes Benz, we wrote to them and asked what the procedure was for sending the car back (we were one month behind at this point) They sent court forms for repossession. I spoke to the customer manager and said we were quite happy to give it back, we bought the car in 2008 brand new and needed to hand it back in August 2011 They said that they needed to go to court, which they did and got a order for repossession.

The car went back and was sold for 7000 via auction, we felt this was a little low but were in no place mentally to really do much about it. We offered to pay the remaining balance at £65 per month it was all we could afford, and was fair to other creditors so everyone was getting something. They rejected this offer and went to court in November 2012 for a charging order on our property.

Again we were in no place mentally to really know what to do, and we just wanted it all to stop and try and get paying it and put our lives back together.

The charging order was granted and the judge accepted our income and expenditure and allowed us to pay the balance or around £7k at £65 to be reviewed as and when we could afford more.

Fast forward to 2016 we are due to receive a family inheritance and we expected the balance to be around £5k (we asked in 2015 and it was £5400) we asked for a settlement figure and the breakdown is below

Instructed Balance £12,838.65
    Less rebate £769.32
    Less Sale proceeds £7,000.00
    Plus Sale Costs £175.00
    Plus repossession fees £266.00
    Plus interest granted on Judgment £1,355.54
    Plus Issue, Judgment and Final Charging Order costs £854.20
    Less payments totalling £1,820.00

Remaining balance £5,900.07.

It really is the gift that keeps on giving, I assumed that the charging order figure was the total amount that they could claim, interest and charges have all been added into the instructed balance? and Mercedez Benz will have received in excess of the orginal credit agreement for the car.

The solicitor also implies that a ccj will be added when the charging order is paid, but there was never a CCJ applied for or showed up on any of my credit reports with the three agencies.

I am just so confused I want to pay them off and never have to think about it again, but rather than going down it just keeps going up, I don't really get what all the charges are and if they are allowed to do this and I doing understand the implication of a CCJ being entered 4 years after the orginal charging order.

Any insights or help would be so very helpful

Thank you in advance

Yorkshire Grey
    When Mercedes repossessed the car how much of the agreement did you pay? Had you paid at least 1/3 of it?
    Did they also write to you to terminate and send you a default notice in accordance with the agreement?

If they went to court they would probably be entitled to their application fees and interest yes, there will probably be a clause within you agreement that says if the car is repossessed then they can recover any costs incurred associated with the repossession and selling of it. I would suggest reading through your agreement again and usually found in the temrination/liability clause.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X