• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BT Premium Mail ( Email ) Price Hike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT Premium Mail ( Email ) Price Hike

Hi all

Recently I received an email from BT stating that my paid for email service, BT Premium mail, was going up from £1.60 a month to £5.00 a month, a rise of some 213%. The email also stated that I could avoid this by returning to BT as my ISP. There was a lot of debate on the internet about how absurd this price rise was including some conjecture that it may have been a scam to get people to log in with passwords etc.

I have to admit that I myself regarded the email as a scam, particularly as the presentation had, what I regarded, as poor presentation.

However, today, BT have taken their first £5 by direct debit.

People tell me that I would be better to spend that money on buying my own email from a hosting service or use one of the many free email services such as gmail, aol.com or Hotmail. Obviously my whole life is wrapped around the BT email address that I have had for many years now. My other grievance is that there are so many people reporting on line that they have left BT many years ago and yet still have their BT email address going strong and without charge or comment.

Can anyone think of a legal or ethical argument why this increase in charge is totally unreasonable? I am sure that I will not be the only protester!
    Thanks in advance guys ...

- - - Updated - - -

Just got this off the MSE site :

"The regulator Ofcom has told MSE that it will be contacting BT to "fully understand the terms relating to its premium email price increase" and to consider whether the hike "raises any concerns"
    Tags: None

Re: BT Premium Mail ( Email ) Price Hike

Just located a copy of the original email .... you can forgive me for thinking that this may have been a spoof! : And as for "As we recently upgraded you" , that never happened.

"Important information about your
    BT email account (Premium Mail)

Hi,

From 6 May 2016, we're changing the price of BT Premium Mail from £1.60 a month to £5 a month.

As we recently upgraded you, you'll still get all the helpful features you get today like unlimited storage for large files and emails, protection against online threats and access through webmail, smartphones and email programs. Not forgetting technical support whenever you need it at here.

We know prices going up can be tough so here's how we can help.

We're here to help
    You might be better off with one of our other products (like BT broadband where Premium Mail is included at no extra cost), so if you’d like to chat through your options please give us a call on 0800 032 2114.

Staying on Premium Mail If we don't hear from you, you'll start paying the new amount from 6 May 2016. The way you pay for Premium Mail (like by Direct Debit for example) won't change.

If you have any further questions please visit bt.com/premiummailfaqs

If you want to leave because of these price changes, call us on 0800 032 2114 within 30 days of receiving this email. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave, starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time.

All prices subject to change at any time during the contract."

Comment

Why stay? There are various companies offering free email accounts. AOL for one, google gmail for another. You can even get an email address with your own domain name, much more personal.

What's wrong with email with your current ISP ?

Comment

I can understand the need for keeping the e-mail address. I have always been with BT so my business e-mails are all bt ones so I will have to find a way to change with minimal disruption. I have just been informed that line rental is increasing by another £1 a month which wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't increased by a pound 6 months ago. Taking the mick springs to mind but where I live the competition is small and they are only just laying fibre so there will be a little while for that hence do not want to commit elsewhere until the market opens up more.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was simply looking for some leverage to put to BT in defence of accepting the large increase but I have Googled this very question and it seems that if you complain bitterly enough, they will acquiesce and give you a further month at £1.60 a month so I am waiting now on my letter of complaint to hopefully achieve that.

Surprisingly enough, I do not know how long I will stay with my current ISP and therefore I would prefer not to use their email facility. Yes, there are others that are free but I have styled my life around the BT facility although I might opt for a hosted email; account with a personalised domain but that could well equate to the new BT charge.

Appreciate the response!

Comment

With your own domain name (why not a company domain?) then you are free to move ISP without having to take a hit on the email addresses. I have my own domain name and currently 8 email addresses on it (some for the wife). I have changed ISP's fairly frequently and so don't have problems when I move.

Comment

Hi Ostell and thank you for that ....

can an you give me some idea of the expected costings for that please? Initial and annual/monthly?

Cheers ...

Comment

I can't give you the price I pay as I get "Mates Rates" ( £0) as I helped them when they were starting up. Things like wiring a network when they moved offices. I also look after my own account (and some of their other customer accounts).

123-reg are offering a basic service at £2.49 + VAT per month with 100 mailboxes of 1 GB. That's just one of many. Do a search of "web hosting services" and there will be lots of hits.

And create a web page for your business!
                Last edited by ostell; 25th May 2016, 08:22:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X