• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Ltd. v BernieQ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Ltd. v BernieQ

Hi all,
    I hope you're good and that this brilliant site is helping in your quest for justice.
    I desperately need help and advise for the next course of action regarding the below CCJ claim please. I believe it's for a card that I took out in 1999 and us

Received a claim?
    Yes
    Issue Date: 29 Feb 2016
    Amount approx: £6092.02
    Claimant: Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Ltd.
    Solicitor: Howard Cohen and Co
    Original Creditor: Barclaycard
    Particulars of Claim: This Claim is for the sum of £ 3856.12 in respect of monies owing under an Agreement with the account no.xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx pursuant to The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA).
    The debt was legally assigned by MKDP LLP (Ex Barclaycard) to the Claimant and notice has
    been served. The Defendant has failed to make contractual payments under the terms of the
    Agreement.
    A default notice has been served upon the Defendant pursuant to s.87(1) CCA.
    The Claimant claims
    1. The sum of £ 3856.12
    2. Interest pursuant to s69 of the County Court Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00percent from
    the 22/07/10 to the date hereof 2042 is the sum of £ 1725.90
    3. Future interest accruing at the daily rate of £ .85
    4. Costs

The Claimant believes that the facts stated in this claim form are true and I am duly authorised
    by the claimant to sign this statement
    Signed Michael J McDonnell
    (Claimant's Legal Representative)

Is the debt Statute Barred? Yes
    List any letters you have sent:

1. CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT (Barclaycard)

BernieQ
    Mr BernieQ
    xxxx 1764822
    Xxx Pxxxx Hxxxxxx
    Dxxx xxxxxd
    xxxxhax, xxsxex
    xx1xxLx

Barclaycard
    P.O. Box 10200
    Wigston
    LE18 9ER

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:− Account Number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Please treat this letter as a formal request for you to supply a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement as is my entitlement under sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I require you to provide me with a true copy, or reconstituted copy of the credit agreement relating to any account you deem to be mine, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide. I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit.

Your obligation also extends to providing me with a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order, which represents payment of the statutory fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act. I understand that a copy of my credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days from the date of this letter.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act, creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

Yours faithfully,

BERNIEQ

2. CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS (Howard Cohen and Co)

BernieQ
    Mr BernieQ
    xxxx 1764822
    Xxx Pxxxx Hxxxxxx
    Dxxx xxxxxd
    xxxxhax, xxsxex
    xx1xxLx

Howard Cohen and Co
    Suite 1B
    Joseph’s Well
    Hanover Walk
    Leeds
    W. Yorks
    LS3 1AB

Dear Sir,

Claim Number: Cxxxxxxxx

Request for documents mentioned in a statement of case under CPR 31.14

On the 10th of March, 2016, I received a County Court claim form from yourself of which I have acknowledged receipt indicating my intention to defend in full.

To enable me to file my defence and counterclaim, I require inspection of documents you mention in your statement of case ahead of filing my defence on 24th of March, 2016.

1. Agreement with the account.
    2. Assignment
    3. Default Notice
    4. Formal Demand

In accordance with CPR 31.15(c) I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

You should note that this claim has not yet been allocated to a specific track and the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect. Had your claim not been issued through CCBC the claimant would have been obliged to attach copies of the documentation upon which it relies to the Particulars of Claim. I, as Defendant, am entitled to see the documents on which the Claimant relies and which you will have to produce at trial. Disclosure at this stage will enable me to fully plead my case and further the Overriding Objective.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the documents I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request, you must tell me in writing and confirm your agreement to an extension of the time allowed for me to file my defence as allowed under CPR 15.5 so I may notify the court.
    For your information and records I enclose a copy of the formal request for a copy of the credit agreement relating to this claim, pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, which has been posted to your client with the statutory fee of £1 today, 14th March 2016

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Yours sincerely

BernieQ

Any Other Info: So far I've not heard from both Barclaycard nor the Solicitors, but I received the below acknowledgement from the courts advising the next course of action

CASE NUMBER Cxxxxx

HOIST PORTFOLIO HOLDING 2 LTD -v- MR BERNIEQ

I acknowledge receipt of your defence. A copy is being served on the claimant (or the claimant's solicitor).
    The claimant may contact you direct to attempt to resolve any dispute, If the dispute cannot be resolved
    informally, the claimant will inform the court that he wishes to proceed. The court will then inform you of
    what will happen.
    Where he wishes to proceed, the claimant must contact the court within 28 days after receiving a copy of
    your defence, After that period has elapsed, the claim will be stayed. The only action the claimant can then
    take will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.

I also just received this Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track from the court to

Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track
    Mr BernieQ
    xxxx 1764822
    Xxx Pxxxx Hxxxxxx
    Dxxx xxxxxd
    xxxxhax, xxsxex
    xx1xxLx

In the

County Court Business Centre
    Claim Number
    Cxxxxxx
    Claimant
    Hoist Portfolio Holding 2
    (including ref.)
    Ltd

Defendant
    Mr BernieQ
    (including ref.)

Date
    25 April 2016

Important Notice
    If you do not comply with this notice the court will make such order as appears to be appropriate. This could include striking out the claim or entering judgement.

TAKE NOTICE THAT
    1. This is now a defended claim.

2.It appears that this case is suitable for allocation to the small claims track.
    If you believe that this track is not the appropriate track for the claim, you must complete box CI on the Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and explain why.

3. You must by 12 May 2016 complete the Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and file it with the court office the County Court Business Centre, 4th Floor St Katharine's House, 21-27 St Katharine's Street, Northampton, NN12LH and serve copies on all other parties.

NOTES FOR GUIDANCE
    (i) The Directions Questionnaire can be downloaded from hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk
    (ii) Further information on fees is available in the leaflet EX50 from hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk

The court office at the County Court Business Centre, 4th Floor St Katharine's House, 21-27 St Katharine's Street, Northampton, NNI 2LH. When corresponding with the court, please address forms or letters to the Court Manager and quote the claim number. Tel: 03001231056 Fax: 08703240166. Check if you can issue your claim

I need advise for the next course of action please.. Will it be advisable to comply and say 'NO' to the proposal or leave it alone and hope the court will strike off the case?

Please help...

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Ltd. v BernieQ

Good morning Bernie,

Your CCA request goes the claimant HPH2 which now owns the debt. Barclaycard has sold the debt and has no obligation to respond to the request. Send again to HPH2 with fee.

CPR 31.14 there is no formal demand in the POC.

You should say yes to mediation as the court expects the parties to a claim to attempt resolution without recourse to trial if possible.

Statute Barred : England & Wales 6 years with no payment (to any party) and no unequivocal written acknowledgment of the debt.

For a credit card assume the relevant 6 year period starts after 2-3 missed payments. However please be aware that Barclaycard in the era your account was opened defaulted accounts very late and HPH2 may try to rely on a late default date if they can.

nem

Comment

Hi BernieQ

Just a tiny point.

Your CPR 31.14 request asks for the assignment; clearly it is not possible to do that, it is the Notice of Assignment one should request.

I'll give [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] a nudge for comment.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Correct Charity,

The notice (s) of assignment, as the POC says was sent.

nem

Comment

Hi,
          Thank you all for your meaningful contributions.
          Somehow and I'm pretty sure it was my fault, the entire background of the case was not loaded to the thread,

'I believe it may be for a card that I took out in 1999 and used to pay for a MCSE but the course providers went into administration a few months later so I made a claim as the card was insured, and Barclaycard advised me to send all receipt and relevant documents pertaining to the course for them to investigate. This I did in haste hoping I'll get a refund and enrol with one of the many course providers at the time. The investigation continued for a very long time and each time I called to check on progress, I was told they'll get back to me. Finally I called to complain and refused to hang up till I spoke to a manager, it was then I was told my case handler has actually left Barclaycard and that the case will be assigned to a new person. The credit limit on the card was £1750 or so, the next time I got a statement it has shot up to well over £3200. I called to enquire about the increase and apparently it was charges accrued for all the time Barclaycard were meant to be investigating. I was then advised to make payments whilst the new investigation continued, so I did. I made sure I paid well over the monthly balance to reduce the sum, but each time I enquired about the investigation I was advised to continue paying towards the balance and that they'll get in touch. This went on for a long while and when I decided I've had enough and pushed further, I was told to send in all the information regarding the course and evidence of using my card to pay for the fees (i.e., the information that I had sent them years ago) It was then that I realised Barclaycard were never interested in resolving the situation. I believe the last time was paid towards that account was in 2007. I received a couple of letters but never heard from them again till now.
          The administrators had then sent me a check for £11.76 as compensation for the uncompleted course.'

I just thought it'll be good append with the missing information.

Thank you very much nem, I'll do exactly as you advised and send again to HPH2 with fees. I'll also say yes to mediation.
          Cheers
          BernieQ

Comment

If you are saying that the last time you paid into the account, or personally acknowledged the debt in writing, was over 6 years before the court claim was issued, it will be statute-barred.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi All,
              I hope you're having a good weekend.
              Regarding this issue with HPH2, I did say yes to the mediation proposal but have not heard or gotten anything pertaining to that yet. I also did send another SAR with the statutory £10 check as per advise. Instead of sending me the information requested per the SAR, I have been sent the below.. Indicating that they've taken the statutory max fee of £10 meant for the access of all data about myself as part payment to the alleged debt.
              My question is, can they do that? Is it legal for them to do that? Can you help please?
              Thank you

Regards

BernieQ

Robinson Way
              Debt Collectors
              Quays Reach, Carolina Way, Salford M50 2ZY

Tel
              Mon - Fri
              Saturday

0345 266 8876
              8:00am - 8:30pm
              9:00am - 4:00pm

DM/BW/Perfi50717
              ·/1123823139820

MR BERNIEQ
              192017 XXXX XXXX HOUSE
              XXXXXXX ROAD
              RXXXXXXXXX
              XXXXXXX
              RXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr BernieQ,
              Due to: HPH2 L TO (Ex 8arclaycard)
              Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

contactus@robinson-way.com
              www.robway.co.uk
              Date: 17/05/16
              Our Reference: 207XXX05
              Amount Due: £6,082.02

We acknowledge with thanks your payment of £10.00, which was credited to your account on 17/05/16.
              Your updated outstanding balance is as shown above.
              Please make sure your next payment is made in good time to ensure it is with us by your due date.

Please see over for payment options.

Yours faithfully
              0/
              Customer Contact Manager

LPfUYI01

Comment

Originally posted by BernieQ View Post
                Hi All,
                I hope you're having a good weekend.
                Regarding this issue with HPH2, I did say yes to the mediation proposal but have not heard or gotten anything pertaining to that yet. I also did send another SAR with the statutory £10 check as per advise. Instead of sending me the information requested per the SAR, I have been sent the below.. Indicating that they've taken the statutory max fee of £10 meant for the access of all data about myself as part payment to the alleged debt.
                My question is, can they do that? Is it legal for them to do that? Can you help please?
                Thank you

Regards

BernieQ

Robinson Way
                Debt Collectors
                Quays Reach, Carolina Way, Salford M50 2ZY

Tel
                Mon - Fri
                Saturday

0345 266 8876
                8:00am - 8:30pm
                9:00am - 4:00pm

DM/BW/Perfi50717
                ·/1123823139820

MR BERNIEQ
                192017 XXXX XXXX HOUSE
                XXXXXXX ROAD
                RXXXXXXXXX
                XXXXXXX
                RXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr BernieQ,
                Due to: HPH2 L TO (Ex 8arclaycard)
                Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

contactus@robinson-way.com
                www.robway.co.uk
                Date: 17/05/16
                Our Reference: 207XXX05
                Amount Due: £6,082.02

We acknowledge with thanks your payment of £10.00, which was credited to your account on 17/05/16.
                Your updated outstanding balance is as shown above.
                Please make sure your next payment is made in good time to ensure it is with us by your due date.

Please see over for payment options.

Yours faithfully
                0/
                Customer Contact Manager

LPfUYI01
                No they most certainly cannot do that, you need to make a Formal Complaint to RW blatant misappropriation of the fee allocating it to the alleged debt make it appear like an admission of liability.

I can draft a letter for you tomorrow if you wish.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,
                  Thank you very much for the quick response. That is precisely what I thought.. I'll definitely be grateful if you could draft me a letter of complaint to the RW regarding the misappropriation of fee.
                  Thank you once again.

Kind Regards

BernieQ

Comment

Hi BernieQ

Reading back, I note that the case has been allocated to SCT.
                    If this predated the CPR 31 request, that request will not be applicable under CPR 27 rules which govern SC cases.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi Charitynjw,
                      Thank you for your response. You are right, the case's been allocated to SCT, but is it legal for them to allocate the fee to the alleged debt and make it appear like an admission of liability? Shouldn't they just return the cheque to sender?
                      Thanks

Regards

BernieQ

Comment

Originally posted by BernieQ View Post
                        Hi Charitynjw,
                        Thank you for your response. You are right, the case's been allocated to SCT, but is it legal for them to allocate the fee to the alleged debt and make it appear like an admission of liability? Shouldn't they just return the cheque to sender?
                        Thanks

Regards

BernieQ
                        No it is not right for this to happen make a Formal Complaint to the Claimant about that,
                        This should also be reported to the FCA for information re the claimants conduct.

nem

Comment

Hi nem,
                          Thank you once again for coming back to me on the issue. Can you please, as you suggested earlier, draft a letter of complaint for me if you can. I'll be very grateful if you can help with that.
                          Thanks once again.

Regards

BernieQ

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X