• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence

Do you think the below is acceptable as a defence or should I provide further information
    ]

1.I received the claim from Northampton County Court on 28th April 2016.
    2. The Defendant denies that she is liable to the Claimant either as alleged in the Particulars of Claim or at all. Save where otherwise admitted, each and every allegation in the Particulars of Claim is denied.
    3. This claim for building works agreement regulated under the Supply of Goods and Service Act 1982.
    4. Paragraph 1 is denied.
    The Claimant did not quote for a wet room in drawing number 13/MH/001.
    5. Paragraph 2 is denied. .
    6. Paragraph 3 is denied a Schedule of Work was not received (Appendix

7. Paragraph 4 is correct

8. Paragraph 5 is denied. The defendant vacated the property in March due to the property
    being uninhabitable. The bulk of work had not been completed.

9. Paragraph 6 is denied. The works had not been completed and agreed as various
    corresepondence indicates. (Appendix

10. Paragraph 7 is denied. The defendants made a payment of £3716.40 detailing the figure and
    costs deducted. (Appendix

11. Paragraph 8 is denied, no interest is payable, defendant has repeatedly requested receipts to
    support charges but has to date not received them.
    Tags: None

Re: Defence

swap 2. with 3. but as a point to note, are you a consumer in this and is the claimant a business?

point 5 is a bare denial and is not accepted, although depending on what 5. says on the particulars of claim it may be accepted but generally you need to explain why you deny it.

points 9 and 10, if the appendix is evidence you wish to use no need to include evidence in your defence as this goes in your witness statement.

other than it seems reasonably fine, although just bear in mind the defence is what a judge is going to see first so the more information you put in there that helps your claim, the better chance you could have. This could also put off the claim if it is seen you have strong enough evidence. A defence with minimal information could be seen as a weak defence and may prompt the claimant to carry on with their claim.

Since you have not supplied any background to your situation it is difficult to say whether or not your defence is solid.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

thank for you response, it is appreciated

I am the consumer and the claimant is a business.
      I have a lot of documentation as evidence and was unsure whether to include in the defence. I didn't want it to be a case of going straight to judgement without looking at the documentation.
      How do I put into the defence letters have been written notifying the builder that works need to be rectified or completed within a reasonable timescale or another contractor will be employed at their cost (at least 2 of these letters were written but never responded)
      The builder has also charged for items not agreed and not agreed in writing, receipts have not been forthcoming and no guarantee at all supplied. I am finding it hard to word the defence

thanks

Comment

How do I put into the defence letters have been written notifying the builder that works need to be rectified or completed within a reasonable timescale or another contractor will be employed at their cost (at least 2 of these letters were written but never responded
        Is there a defects clause in your contract? If so, all you need to do is refer to a breach of that clause. If not, refer to section 14(1) of the Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982, where there is an implied obligation to make good defects within a reasonable time. If your builder has not done so, you have a right to correct them yourself and recover the cost from the builder, providing you have given the correct contractual notice or reasonable notice where a written contract does not exist.

In any event, if you want to be able to recover remedial costs from the other party you need to raise a counter-claim or set-off, and pay the appropriate fee. If not you will be precluded from doing so. Also, bear in mind the case of Pearce & High v Baxter [1999] as well as Woodlands Oak Ltd v Conwell [2011]; cases about notice to builder to correct defects.

The builder has also charged for items not agreed and not agreed in writing, receipts have not been forthcoming and no guarantee at all supplied. I am finding it hard to word the defence
        Whether they are agreed in writing or not is a question of fact and we are not privy to the facts. However, if you have a written contract, that should provide the mechanism for instructing and performing extra work unless it could reasonably be implied that the work should have been included in the price - Williams v Fitzmaurice [1858]. If not, then a fair price is presumed payable by virtue of s15 of Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982. Perhaps you could say something like "the Claimant is put to strict proof in relation to/in respect of each and every item......."

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped-Off View Post
          Is there a defects clause in your contract? If so, all you need to do is refer to a breach of that clause. If not, refer to section 14(1) of the Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982, where there is an implied obligation to make good defects within a reasonable time. If your builder has not done so, you have a right to correct them yourself and recover the cost from the builder, providing you have given the correct contractual notice or reasonable notice where a written contract does not exist.

In any event, if you want to be able to recover remedial costs from the other party you need to raise a counter-claim or set-off, and pay the appropriate fee. If not you will be precluded from doing so. Also, bear in mind the case of Pearce & High v Baxter [1999] as well as Woodlands Oak Ltd v Conwell [2011]; cases about notice to builder to correct defects.

Whether they are agreed in writing or not is a question of fact and we are not privy to the facts. However, if you have a written contract, that should provide the mechanism for instructing and performing extra work unless it could reasonably be implied that the work should have been included in the price - Williams v Fitzmaurice [1858]. If not, then a fair price is presumed payable by virtue of s15 of Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982. Perhaps you could say something like "the Claimant is put to strict proof in relation to/in respect of each and every item......."
          thanks - there is no contract just a quote with an amount for PC sums within the quote, an example of additional costs charge was levelling the floor after demolition of a wall. We wrote to disagree with the charge prior to the work being undertaken but the work was undertaken and charged to us.

Comment

When is the cause of action (date)?

Would this be SoGSA or Consumer Rights Act?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              When is the cause of action (date)? - sorry I don't know what cause of action is

Would this be SoGSA or Consumer Rights Act?
              - Sale of Goods Act work commenced before Oct 15

Comment

Originally posted by bentls00 View Post
                - Supply of Goods & Services Act work commenced before Oct 15
                IFYPY
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

sorry Sale of Goods Act work commenced jan 15

Comment

of additional costs charge was levelling the floor after demolition of a wall. We wrote to disagree with the charge prior to the work being undertaken but the work was undertaken and charged to us.
                    Can't quite grasp why the work would be required, but it could be something that you would have had to instruct as other work would be affected without it. The opposing argument is the condition of the floor has never changed and, therefore, should or ought to have been included in the price; perhaps Williams v Fitzmaurice [1858] will help with that argument.
                    Last edited by Ripped-Off; 30th April 2016, 06:18:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped-Off View Post
                      Can't quite grasp why the work would be required, but it could be something that you would have had to instruct as other work would be affected without it. The opposing argument is the condition of the floor has never changed and, therefore, should or ought to have been included in the price; perhaps Williams v Fitzmaurice [1858] will help with that argument.
                      the wall that was demolished is now part of a hallway, the floor was left uneven and required levelling to make good.

Comment

Had a feeling that might be it, but wasn't certain. They would have to convince me that there was no way they could ever have foreseen the requirement for a levelling compound when they took the old wall down.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X