• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax - show payments made

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax - show payments made

Sir,

I have a problem at the moment with my Local Council as the benefits department messed up my benefits, which they have now rectified and amended my rent account, but have not altered my Council Tax as they say it's correct even though it is calculated from the same benefit information.

I have actually paid a lot more than I should have. Their bills make no sense and are not understandable. In one instance they brought forward £148 to pay where the previous bill was £62.

I stated that they did not show any payments made in to the council. Their figures do not follow and there is no way of seeing how much is owed and what is due. Their reply is: "In your letter you state that payments to the Council in respect of Council Tax are not noted. All payments and transactions are held on the Councils computer system. It is the citizen’s responsibility to keep a record of all payments made".

Is this legal?

Surely, as payments are made and for clarity they should show a running balance and explain where monies are added, why and where from?

Any advice or knowledge on this would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax - show payments made

Originally posted by peterawhurst View Post
    Sir,

I have a problem at the moment with my Local Council as the benefits department messed up my benefits, which they have now rectified and amended my rent account, but have not altered my Council Tax as they say it's correct even though it is calculated from the same benefit information.

I have actually paid a lot more than I should have. Their bills make no sense and are not understandable. In one instance they brought forward £148 to pay where the previous bill was £62.

I stated that they did not show any payments made in to the council. Their figures do not follow and there is no way of seeing how much is owed and what is due. Their reply is: "In your letter you state that payments to the Council in respect of Council Tax are not noted. All payments and transactions are held on the Councils computer system. It is the citizen’s responsibility to keep a record of all payments made".

Is this legal?

Surely, as payments are made and for clarity they should show a running balance and explain where monies are added, why and where from?

Any advice or knowledge on this would be appreciated.
    Complain to the CEO of the authority usually you can find a direct e-mail address on the council website, this has been very effective on a number of occasions.

You are normally expected to maintain at least minimal records of what you owe and what you pay. You are entitled to ask for a current statement of your CT account.

If your council has an automated payment telephone service these usually will tell you what is currently owed.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X