• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

new car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new car

i purchased a brand new car in 2012 kept in garage not used a lot only has 5000 miles on the clock took out yesterday done 27 miles all the lights came on took back to the dealer said out of warranty would cost over 200 pounds as the brake sensors are faulty can i do anything about this
    Tags: None

Re: new car

Get it repaired?

You do have rights against the dealer for up to 6 years after purchase, but you need to show the fault was there when you purchased the car.
    I believe you will find it difficult to prove the sensors were faulty when you purchased the vehicle, and trying to enforce your rights for such a comparatively small sum would be counter productive.

Comment

Hi Mercedes ...

I had a similar situation some years back, cannot recall the details, but the car was clearly out of warranty at the time, as was yours. I do not believe that the selling dealership has any liability here as the fault should certainly have been obvious in the last four years of use, albeit only 5000 miles.

In the absence of the dealership making a goodwill gesture of part payment or similar ( they are clearly unable to recharge the car manufacturer for any work ) I would do what I remember doing on my purchase and that was to write to the car manufacturer, laying out a detailed series of events and enclosing your repair bill ( assuming this has been done ). You will need to present a case as to whether the component in question had failed 'unreasonably' within a 5000 mile life on the road ( one may assume it had ) and whether they would be prepared to make an ex-gratia contribution towards the cost.

I remember that I was certainly successful with this and if memory serves me correctly I received something like a 30% contribution towards my bill. Okay, it's not gold but I cannot see any other option and if you don't ask, you don't get!

Out of interest, could you let us know the vehicle make/model?

Comment

hi there snoopy the make is a mercedes cc220 estate sport cdi blue efficency reg in 2012 bought for my retirement

Comment

Hi Mercedes ... See the reason for the username now !

I can can well understand how you feel as the car is certainly prestige and things should certainly not fail within that very low mileage and I guess that's the basis of your complaint. Certainly had you completed an average mileage of say 60,000 within the same period, you probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

As as I said, i would be writing directly to Mercedes head office detailing the series of events and submitting a copy receipt ( if the work has been done ) , requesting post warranty consideration on the basis that a quality car should not have such a failed component within such a brief, almost negligable, mileage. That would certainly test their goodwill procedures!

Lovely car car by the way! As they say 'Well jel!' ...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X