• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial, Weightmans Solicitors and setting aside CCJ hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial, Weightmans Solicitors and setting aside CCJ hearing

Hi all and thanks for letting me join your useful community!

This subject may have been covered numerous times however, I feel that these circumstances are somewhat different to others I have read therefore I am seeking some helpful expert advice before I reply.

Background -

I returned from living overseas last summer and recently checked my credit file for the first time to find a CCJ registered against me (Aug 2015) at my old address, the claimant being Cabot financial for circa 1300 pounds.

I immediately sought to have the CCJ set aside and sent in my application with the 255.00 fee and have today received a hearing date for approx two weeks time.

My application to the Court reads as follows -

What order are you asking the court to make and why? To have the Judgement set aside as the claimant filed the papers at my old address giving me no opportunity to exercise my right to defend the claim. No enquiry has been recorded by a credit organisation on my credit file since November 2014, confirming that no attempt to contact me was made.

What information will you be relying on in support of your application?
    This debt relates to a simple contract debt (credit card) that went into default in June / July 2009. I believe that the debt was purchased by the claimant from the provider of my credit card circa 2010 as I never entered into a credit agreement with with the creditor and would not have been aware of there involvement or contact details until now. A default was entered onto my credit file by the claimant on 31st May 2010 and was due for removal by the reporting agencies in May 2016 (See attached app.1)

The claimant has obtained a Judgement by default by issuing the claim to my old address without any reasonable attempt to contact me to defend the claim. Please refer to app.2 showing the three step process entered as an example of how easy it was to contact me at the correct address (Simple google search of name and town attached).

It is my conclusion that the claimant purposely tried to circumvate the correct process in order to obtain Judgement by default in their favour with no defense being filed by myself. I also intend to to defend any further claim by exercising my rights under the Limitations Act 1980 and in particular rule CONC 7.15.4.

A letter arrived yesterday from Weightmans Solicitors yesterday that basically reads -

This account which is subject to these proceedings relates to a credit card incepted on 17th Dec 2008. We understand that failure to make your contractual monthly payments after 3rd Sept 2009, the provider terminated your agreement on 31st May 2010 before all rights under the terms of the same were assigned to the claimant on 9th February 2015.

Under Cival procedure rule 6, which details the rules of the document service within cival proceedings in England and Wales, individuals must be served at their usual or last known address (CPR 6.9)

prior to commencement of proceedings, a formal letter before claim and a second letter were sent to the address which we held for you, neither of which were returned by the postal service as undelivered. As our client had no reason to believe that you were not residing at this address at which we had been corresponding to, proceedings were issued at this address.

Whilst we have now updated our system to reflect your new address for service of court documents, we have received instructions to oppose your application on the basis that you were validly served with proceedings at your last known address.

Limitation Act 1980: As detailed within your application notice, the time limit for our client to commence proceedings is six years from the date on which their course of action accrued. As you have helpfully confirmed to the Court by supplying a copy of your credit file, the default on the aforementioned account only occurred in May 2010 which means that as Court proceedings were issued on June 2015, this was within six years default. Accordingly, the account is not statue barred by the virtue of section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980.

On the basis of the above, we have advised our client to oppose your application and seek costs of doing so from you at the final hearing. Our client is however hopeful that this matter can be resolved amicably and would be willing to enter into a monthly or weekly payment arrangement with you to repay the judgment debt.

We therefore invite you to contact us within the next 14 days to discuss your financial circumstances and make an offer of payment in respect of the judgment order.

In the event that we do not hear from you by the 21st April 2016, we will proceed to prepare for the final hearing which will incur additional costs.

Weightmans LLP

What is the correct course of action from here please? CCA / CPR etc, as my situation already involves a judgment by default does this change the way I request information?

As Weightmans have confirmed that the original creditors last payment was on the 3rd September 2009, my understanding from this is that statue barred applies as no correspondence has existed between then and now, although I still have not actually admitted the debt as of yet.

Any thoughts on the best way to respond as I have Court in two weeks time?

Thank you in advance people.

:tongue2:
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Financial, Weightmans Solicitors and setting aside CCJ hearing

Regardless of any thoughts on cause of action, the issuing of a claim stops the statute barred clock so based on the last payment date alone the debt would not be statute barred. It is however unlikely imho that the last payment would be a cause of action.

It is true that a ccj means they do not need to provide the agreement, even if a set aside is agreed they only need to supply a recon agreement which unless you have the original will be difficult to prove as invalid.

its the weekend so quiet on here but maybe [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]Celestine[/MENTION] could offer more help.

Comment

So is my best option to negotiate with Weightmans to see if they will not object to the setting aside and pay them to settle the debt?

I was out of the country from Oct 2009 and did not return until last year so would not have been informed of Cabot owning the debt. With this in mind how would they expect me to update them as creditor when I had no idea of who they were until a ccj landed on my file.

From 2010 to aug 2015 they made no attempt to track me down so what did they have to gain from issuing a ccj to my old address. If they wanted the money why not do a quick search, find me and I would have paid them. It's like being punished for 12 years now.

Comment

I would like to update anybody reading this thread.

I went to Court, Weightmans attended and spoke with me outside of the Courtroom and informed me that I had little or no chance of getting the CCJ set aside and they would be seeking costs in excess of £500 so it was in my best interest to settle with them out of Court before the hearing.

I took my chances and went into Court. The Judge cut straight to the point and within thirty seconds it appeared to me that they did not have time for Weightmans.

Weightmans started by saying that they served me correctly and that it was all done within the rules.

The Judge picked up on the one and only point in my evidence that saved me and told Weightmans that he believed no valid notice of assignment of the debt from the original provider to Cabot existed and gave them 21 days to provide one. He also said that from the amount of these cases being dealt with by the Courts lead him to believe that they would not provide one either.

Judge also gave me permission to enter a defence should they provide an original notice of assignment providing the Judge agreed it was bona-fide. I told the Judge that Weightmans had already told me I was not entitled to a CCA request as they had already obtained judgement, the Judge said this was nonsense and made a note on file to say that I should be provided with the request as part of my defence.

Judge set the CCJ aside and refused Weightmans application to be granted fees for the day.

It just shows, don't always believe what you read when people tell you to give up because you have little chance of winning. Take your chances, it was worth it for me! Equifax credit report jumped over 100 points, registry trust where informed after 48 hours and my credit report was updated quickly as I obtained a copy a week later and it was gone.

Comment

Well done ..!! I also had dealing with these two parties and they use very underhand tactics poor poor showing on their part if you ask me ... but like you I won with the help of the very fine people on this site well do again

Comment

Thank you, I thought I'd make an effort to update people as I struggled to find the right answer for my scenario when trawling all these threads, more people should share there own experiences to help others make an informed decision. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine_coast23 View Post

The Judge picked up on the one and only point in my evidence that saved me and told Weightmans that he believed no valid notice of assignment of the debt from the original provider to Cabot existed and gave them 21 days to provide one. He also said that from the amount of these cases being dealt with by the Courts lead him to believe that they would not provide one either.
              Well done you!

One small nit-picky thing; An assignor wouldn't send an NoA to the assignee.(if I'm reading LoPA 1925 correctly, that is?)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X