• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

dvla fine for car that was written off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvla fine for car that was written off

I am writing regarding the recent summons I have received for court. I am very confused about why this has happened as I have been sent two letters regarding a fine or an uninsured vehicle. I have responded to both explaining that the car was written of a few months before and I have sent the log book off the same day the car was collected. I now understand the DVLA claim they did not receive this, as far as I am aware when I post a letter in the post in the UK it is deemed as served and nowhere does in mention these items have to be sent recorded delivery neither do I have the money to pay this out when I have proof the car was written off after an accident and collected by the insurance.

I now have this letter stating the case needs to be heard in court. However I am currently unemployed and have been offered some training to spend a few weeks unpaid work with a tradesman in hope he can train me and maybe offer me some work. This time period would cover the court date and I really would not like to look unreliable and want to make a good first impression as I really want to get back in employment.

I am requesting if it is possible if I send the proof of the car being written off again and a statement could the hearing go ahead without me or even be dismissed as I see no reason to even be in court? Or what do I do next?

thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: dvla fine for car that was written off

Originally posted by Hdoug View Post
    I am writing regarding the recent summons I have received for court. I am very confused about why this has happened as I have been sent two letters regarding a fine or an uninsured vehicle. I have responded to both explaining that the car was written of a few months before and I have sent the log book off the same day the car was collected. I now understand the DVLA claim they did not receive this, as far as I am aware when I post a letter in the post in the UK it is deemed as served and nowhere does in mention these items have to be sent recorded delivery neither do I have the money to pay this out when I have proof the car was written off after an accident and collected by the insurance.

I now have this letter stating the case needs to be heard in court. However I am currently unemployed and have been offered some training to spend a few weeks unpaid work with a tradesman in hope he can train me and maybe offer me some work. This time period would cover the court date and I really would not like to look unreliable and want to make a good first impression as I really want to get back in employment.

I am requesting if it is possible if I send the proof of the car being written off again and a statement could the hearing go ahead without me or even be dismissed as I see no reason to even be in court? Or what do I do next?

thanks in advance
    You must attend the Magistrate's court and if I were you, plead not guilty. If you plead not guilty in your circumstances you should not be fined or receive any penalty points If you have already received a summons to appear then the fine has already been registered with the Magistrates so it is too late to get in touch with DVLA now (not that it would be effective anyway). This means the process has already started and DVLA believe they have enough evidence to prove a conviction against you, ie fine/ penalty points. If you do not attend, you will be far worse off, ie pay more in fine and costs too. Take a friend with you for support etc (just to be there with you, but not actually talk at the hearing). Your employment situation well you'll just have to postpone things there.

Comment

Re: dvla fine for car that was written off

This situation is more common than you might believe. Search through this forum for people who have been in a similar situation to you to get some idea of your course of action.

If I recall correctly most cases have ended with the DVLA withdrawing, even after suggesting that people pay on the court steps before getting into court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X