• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Card issued pre2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card issued pre2007

The amount owed on the card got bigger and bigger following accumulation of high interest and charges, and loss of employment.
    It got passed on to a DCA and I started making small monthly instalments Subsequently, I was notified that a company had purchased the debt, then another. I was unable to make further payments for several months and I have now received further correspondence to say another company owns the debt. It would appear that all these companies are connected and the latest was able to tell me the total sum of instalments paid and who the original creditor was and the date the card was issued.
    I also know that I made a CCA request some years ago and subsequently received some documents, although I cannot be sure if all was in order.
    I don't now know what to do. I don't want to upset them, as I don't want to have to go to court, and .I just don't have the strength. Given that these cos are connected, I don't suppose there is any point in repeating a CCA request?
    I also don't know the significance of and the relevance of Default Notices either and how it would assist.
    I would love to know how much of the debt is made up of charges and interest, but again, I don't know whether that makes any difference to the situation and may not be available, given that it is now over a decade ago, since it was first issued.
    Should I just start making monthly instalments again and challenge them at a later stage?
    The only thing that concerns me, is that if I do so, it is accepting the total amount claimed which is thousands, but at the same time as I highlighted above, all the cos are connected and would know about the previous instalments made. Can I go back to the original card issuer and request details of all the charges and interest accrued all those years ago?
    Please help. I am so tired of it all.
    Tags: None

Re: Credit Card issued pre2007

Good evening, welcome to LB,
    Can you tell me the names of the companies involved please?

When did you last make and payments to any of these companies?
    What is the debt, how much, type of account and original creditor?
    Don't consider payments at this point please post the information requested and
    so we can advise fully.

nem

Comment

Also, do you own your own home? xx
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi Nem & Celestine
        It concerns Credit Card Acc.
        Last payment 6 months ago
        If I am unable to get to the root of the amount of charges and interest accrued, which is substantial and runs into thousands, then total amount would place it in fast track and hence one of the reasons I don't want to give them any excuses for legal action and other benefits.
        Regarding the names, I've heard that they read these forums and don't want to give them a heads up.
        Should I just start arranging monthly instalments and in the meantime see if OC will provide details of all charges and interests from date of inception?
        Thank you so much for all your help. If only we had more people like the members of this forum to help each other. Island Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Islandblue View Post
          Hi Nem & Celestine
          It concerns Credit Card Acc.
          Last payment 6 months ago
          If I am unable to get to the root of the amount of charges and interest accrued, which is substantial and runs into thousands, then total amount would place it in fast track and hence one of the reasons I don't want to give them any excuses for legal action and other benefits.
          Regarding the names, I've heard that they read these forums and don't want to give them a heads up
          Should I just start arranging monthly instalments and in the meantime see if OC will provide details of all charges and interests from date of inception?
          Thank you so much for all your help. If only we had more people like the members of this forum to help each other. Island Blue
          Hello Island Blue,

You are anonymous on LB as long as you don't post any personal date you will remain so.

It helps us to advise properly as the debt purchase companies all have different approaches.
          It would be likely that it's going to be difficult to obtain a copy of any agreement so two methods of trying to get it.

1. A subject Access Request made under the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, this requires the recipient to provide ALL personal data it holds on the data subject, this will not necessarily get the agreement as there is differences of opinion on the status of agreements as personal data but one can specify items.
          A Fee of £10 is payable and the request goes to the Data Controller at the original creditors HO. A 40 day time scale applies.

2. The CCA request can be sent to the OC £1 fee 12 + 2 working days for compliance this is for just a copy of the agreement and a current statement ( no historical data) such as one might expect with a SAR.

nem

Comment

I would also suggest sending a fresh cca request
            You are perfectly entitled to do this

From that you can see if they have an enforceable agreement or not

Knowledge is power

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
              I would also suggest sending a fresh cca request
              You are perfectly entitled to do this

From that you can see if they have an enforceable agreement or not

Knowledge is power
              Noah please read the reasons why the OP does not want to send a CCA request to the current " owner of the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                Noah please read the reasons why the OP does not want to send a CCA request to the current " owner of the debt.
                The OP states
                I don't suppose there is any point in repeating a CCA request?
                I suggest that you wind your neck in , read what was said and reply

The OP is 100% entitled to send another CCA request particularly as it was some years ago and they may have legitimately lost or mislaid the originals

Comment

I have to say, that I would recommend sending a new CCA request to the current owners of the debt - otherwise you'll only have to do it if they bring court action, and it could put them off taking that route while you get together any other arguments you might have on charges etc.

I'd also send a subject access request to the original creditor ( who the credit card was with ) It will cost you £10 but you will get a full list of transactions and be able to see where all the charges and interest etc have come from.

It's worth doing that before giving up and starting payments.

Are they hassling you an awful lot?
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    I have to say, that I would recommend sending a new CCA request to the current owners of the debt - otherwise you'll only have to do it if they bring court action, and it could put them off taking that route while you get together any other arguments you might have on charges etc.

I'd also send a subject access request to the original creditor ( who the credit card was with ) It will cost you £10 but you will get a full list of transactions and be able to see where all the charges and interest etc have come from.

I agree Amethyst but the OP is nervous of so doing as she believes it may alert the as yet unknown new owner of the debt which is why I was cautious and suggested a CCA request to the original creditor.

nem

Comment

Dear Nem and Noah
                      Firstly, thank you so much for the care and concern you have shown.
                      The reason, that I thought that it was not a good idea to submit a repeated CCA request is threefold. Following first and only request to date (5 years ago) some docs were sent through. I don't know as to whether it was in order, as I have nothing to compare it to.
                      As far as they were concerned they had complied. Moreover, the Co. that supplied it was the debt purchaser, connected to the current. If I were to repeat my request, as they know, normally the reason for these requests, it may antagonise them. They have both money and power and I have neither.
                      I therefore wonder as to whether I should just start quietly without fuss arrange a monthly instalment and see how things develop?
                      If I contact the OC of the credit card, will they provide details of all charges and interests from date of inception, dating back to over 10 years ago?
                      Thank you so much for all your help. of this forum to help each other. Island Blue

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                      Hello Island Blue,

You are anonymous on LB as long as you don't post any personal date you will remain so.

It helps us to advise properly as the debt purchase companies all have different approaches.
                      It would be likely that it's going to be difficult to obtain a copy of any agreement so two methods of trying to get it.

1. A subject Access Request made under the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, this requires the recipient to provide ALL personal data it holds on the data subject, this will not necessarily get the agreement as there is differences of opinion on the status of agreements as personal data but one can specify items.
                      A Fee of £10 is payable and the request goes to the Data Controller at the original creditors HO. A 40 day time scale applies.

2. The CCA request can be sent to the OC £1 fee 12 + 2 working days for compliance this is for just a copy of the agreement and a current statement ( no historical data) such as one might expect with a SAR.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by Islandblue View Post
                        Dear Nem and Noah
                        Firstly, thank you so much for the care and concern you have shown.
                        The reason, that I thought that it was not a good idea to submit a repeated CCA request is threefold. Following first and only request to date (5 years ago) some docs were sent through. I don't know as to whether it was in order, as I have nothing to compare it to.
                        As far as they were concerned they had complied. Moreover, the Co. that supplied it was the debt purchaser, connected to the current. If I were to repeat my request, as they know, normally the reason for these requests, it may antagonise them. They have both money and power and I have neither.
                        I therefore wonder as to whether I should just start quietly without fuss arrange a monthly instalment and see how things develop?
                        If I contact the OC of the credit card, will they provide details of all charges and interests from date of inception, dating back to over 10 years ago?
                        Thank you so much for all your help. of this forum to help each other. Island Blue
                        I can understand your reluctance, my feeling remains that sending the requests to the original credit is the best approach for you peace of mind.

nem
                        Last edited by Amethyst; 16th March 2016, 19:06:PM.

Comment

Hi Amethyst. Thank you for your reply. Would not a CCA request trigger off a court action? especially if they manage to put together something or find the copy of the last one?
                          The difficulty is, it is impossible to tell if what they sent is it or not?
                          Many thanks
                          Islandblue
                          Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

Comment

Dear All
                            In your views, what would be an issue, if I hold back and only submit a repeat CCA request, should they raise threats of legal action?
                            Islandblue

Comment

Nope that would be fine It is always a 50/50 - the whole malarky of debt claims is like a game of chess.

I'd get a SAR off to the OC though so you have the details to throw back should you need them - it takes up to 40 days for the SAR info to come back from the creditors.
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X