• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Costs and Appeals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs and Appeals

Can anyone advise me on the following point.

Having been awarded 'CostS' (subject to a detailed assessment) surely the losing party cannot, delay this process, by implying they intend to appeal the decision at the Court of Appeal (especially when permission has already been refused in the County Court.

I am sure I have read C.P.R. Rules relating to the appeal process not effecting the payment of Costs.
    Tags: None

Re: Costs and Appeals

You are correct

Practise Direction 47

No stay of detailed assessment where there is an appeal

47.2 Detailed assessment is not stayed pending an appeal unless the court so orders.

Detailed assessment must be done within 3 months of the judgment unless stayed...

Judgment, direction, order, award or other determination 3 months after the date of the judgment etc. Where detailed assessment is stayed pending an appeal, 3 months after the date of the order lifting the stay

Have the other side said they want to delay the costs assessment?

What kind of value costs are we talking about?

[MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION]
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the response.
      Our Bill of Costs run to approx £6000. Both parties are representing themselves (Litigants in person) We have been awarded Costs, subject to a detailed assessment, but the other party is not cooperating, as we have sent a notice of commencment, and requested points of dispute, but the other party seems to think that the fact they intend to appeal, halts the Costs process. As I have said permission to appeal has been refused at a local level, and there is no evidence to suggest that the other party has raised this issue with the court of appeal.
      The Other party has displayed nothing but obstructive delaying tactics throughout the case management in an effort to gain an advantage, and I believe this is more of the same.
      Unfortunately the Court seem to allow this nonsense to continue.
      The 3 month period is fast approaching, yet we have long since submitted our Costs, surely the actions of the other party should not be allowed to effect this.

Comment

If you have heard nothing back then you need to submit Form 258 to commence detailed proceedings as far as I am aware including the copy of notice of commencement and any other documents such as the order for costs, your costs schedule, points of reply/dispute etc. along with the court fee. Presuming costs are less than £75k there is a paper assessment made by the court unless they order a hearing.

Those are the next steps above, and must be done within 3 months.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Well we do have a hearing coming up, we have submitted, our 'bill of costs', evidence of expenses, as I have said the other party is failing to cooperate, and has gone to ground. Obviously the other party has little to gain by engaging in the process, I just hope the Court sees through all the time wasting.

Comment

Update. Following a 'Costs' hearing. We now have a contact address, and the paying party has been ordered to submit the 'Points of dispute'. All attempts to delay with talk of appeals appear to have been seen through and rightly ignore. Progress ?

Comment

Sounds like it, presumably the order is points of dispute raised within 21 days or longer? If they still fail to raise any points, I would think you will be awarded the costs in full
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Question. If a defendant successfully defends a case, and goes on to be awarded Costs, on any subsequent paperwork,( Points of dispute/ Precedent G ) does the paying party become the defendant and the receiving party become the claimant, as it is he who is claiming the Costs ? Or are each party referred to as they were, before the judgement.

Comment

The change overs between claimants and defendants, respondants / appellants etc always confuse heck out of me. [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] will know how best to refer to the partys during costs proceedings.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Defendant and Claimant remains the same, they are just called the receiving and paying party.
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X