• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

3% surcharge on second property purhcase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3% surcharge on second property purhcase

I have a small property ( subject to mortgage) that I have lived in on my own for a number of years. My partner and I would now like to buy a property together and I was hoping to rent out my property. However, I find that a new law, coming in in April 2016, would mean that I would be subject to an extra 3% surcharge ( stamp duty ) on the new purchase as the new house is a second home. Is that correct ?

Secondly, if that is correct, is the 3% on the whole value of the new purchase ? As I will only own half of it and it's my partners only ( 1st ) home ?

So confused. Would be grateful for some help please.
    Tags: None

Re: 3% surcharge on second property purhcase

Originally posted by Lea View Post
    I have a small property ( subject to mortgage) that I have lived in on my own for a number of years. My partner and I would now like to buy a property together and I was hoping to rent out my property. However, I find that a new law, coming in in April 2016, would mean that I would be subject to an extra 3% surcharge ( stamp duty ) on the new purchase as the new house is a second home. Is that correct ?

Secondly, if that is correct, is the 3% on the whole value of the new purchase ? As I will only own half of it and it's my partners only ( 1st ) home ?

So confused. Would be grateful for some help please.
    Hello Lea,

From April 1 2016, 2nd resident properties (ie not businesses) including buy to let (rented out) in the UK, will attract land tax (stamp duty/ surcharge), starting at 3% up to £125k; 5% up to £250k, and higher beyond this. So 3% is the minimum.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buy...gyefEt4WBVw.97

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buy...gyefEt4WBVw.97
    Last edited by Openlaw15; 21st February 2016, 11:48:AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Re: 3% surcharge on second property purhcase

Is that correct ?
      Yes

Yes it is on the whole value. As I understand it, HMRC treats you and your partner as a "single unit" for this tax. Indeed if your partner bought the new house on his own and you were going to live in it and rent out your old one, he would be liable for the extra tax even though it is his only property!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X