• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Signing pay back agreement, after starting the training.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing pay back agreement, after starting the training.

I am currently on my second year of my HNC course, I've got 6 months remaining and due to circumstances unknown to me at my company they are now bringing in the pay back agreement. However i find this unfair to ask to to sign this contract now, meaning that i will have to stay at the company for 4 years.

is there any advice people can offer me or is they any legal requirements in which they should of taken prior to the course starting.

Thanks
    Jake
    Tags: None

Re: Signing pay back agreement, after starting the training.

What agreement did you make with the company when you commenced your HNC course?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No agreement was agreed or even mentioned, two other apprentices never signed an agreement and now they have both left so I think this is why they want me to sign one?

Comment

So you did not have to sign an agreement two years ago when you started the course and now with 6 months to go they want you to pay for the whole two year course (or just the last six months?) or work for the company for the next 4 years! It will be interesting to see what the knowledgeable beagles have to say on this – OK I can understand a company wanting a few years of loyalty when they offer to pay for a college course but to ask for it retrospectively, when you cannot make a decision as you have already completed most of the course, well that is a little odd!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

Have they stated what they will do if you refuse to sign the agreement?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
            So you did not have to sign an agreement two years ago when you started the course and now with 6 months to go they want you to pay for the whole two year course (or just the last six months?) or work for the company for the next 4 years! It will be interesting to see what the knowledgeable beagles have to say on this – OK I can understand a company wanting a few years of loyalty when they offer to pay for a college course but to ask for it retrospectively, when you cannot make a decision as you have already completed most of the course, well that is a little odd!
            It's not just odd, i would say it is illegal. You simply cannot obligate (agreement) your self for the future where a term is introduced with retrospective effect. It is simply an unfair term and would not be part of the original contract, ie it would not be incorporated unless you signed the contract at the same time. If your employer/ company tries to take you to court, it will be breach of contract. I also believe you have an estoppel defence as you acted on a promise (free HNC) made to your detrimental reliance, ie you're committed to the course and do not have the money to pay it back.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X