• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Leaving British Telecom BT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving British Telecom BT

Dear All,

I have had a look for similar posts but none forthcoming so this is a situation I find myself currently in:

1- 18th December 2015, my contract with BT for line rental and broadband expired, I entered that 'limbo' stage of rolling monthly bills but not under contract.

2- 27th December 2015 I called BT and said I am having another provider take over the line as of the 21st Jan 2016. On advise from my (future) provider I asked if it will be possible to maintain BT broadband without the BT phone line as they could not switch them at the same time. I was told in no uncertain terms at least twice that it was not possible to have one without the other. I said okay, I would still like to proceed with the termination of services. What happened next is in my opinion scandalous. Without my knowledge or permission I was then placed on a new 12 month contract with BT, (remember I was out of contract when I made my call to cancel) so it must have been done when I put the phone down. I did receive an email from BT which at a glance looks like an update of my situation, and baring in mind the conversation I had just had I had no reason or desire to peruse the finer points of the message.

3- 7th January: I received an email and letter (identical) which is my 'Leaving BT 'what I need to know' information. It states clearly that despite being told to the contrary on the 27th December I am in fact going to maintain a stand alone broadband service when my line is taken over, (at nearly 6 times the price incidentally). It also states that I 'Won't have to pay any charges for ending my contract' (not that I was aware I was in any contract at this point) and that my new stand alone broadband option is 'under no minimum term contract'
    I had a couple of queries regarding this service e.g down load capacity/ speed etc so called today 19th Jan to discuss them. During the chat it transpired that, without me knowing and certainly without my permission, let alone being informed of any t's and c's I was in fact placed on a new contract which started on the 30th December, and that I will now face charges for leaving early of just over £200. Remembering my call to them on the 27th Dec was made out of contract, and was a specific request to leave their services, and that call was recorded, and that, EVEN if I was aware of my new contractual obligation I have in my hand a letter stating that I will incur no fees for ending my contract early.

At this stage I have raised the issue as a formal complaint with BT and am expecting a response in the next few days. No doubt they will find in favour of themselves and I will have to take it up with the relevant independent adjudicator. I just wanted to raise this as I suspect a lot of people will find themselves in this position and wondered if anyone has experience or wisdom to share.

I will of course update as things progress.

Regards

Matt
    Tags: None

Re: Leaving British Telecom BT

I would try complaining direct to this guy, Im confident he will be able to get it properly sorted for you
    fergal.gorby@bt.com

Comment

Many thanks CYNthesys!

Comment

Just had a timely, constructive and in fact charming response from Fergal Gorby, am looking forward to a positive outcome and closure in the next couple of weeks. Thanks again CYNthesis and to Legal Beagles! Excellent work!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X