• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax liability for court fees (incorrect summons)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax liability for court fees (incorrect summons)

Hello,

I moved properties on 15th July of this year. Two weeks before I moved, I informed the council at the desk (not in writing) of the date I was moving, my previous address and my new address. Two weeks after moving I received two bills; one for the old address for the period up to 24th July; and one for the new address for the period from the 15th July. Unfortunately at the time I did not notice the mistaken overlap of dates. I knew I had paid in full the council tax on the old address to the date I left (in fact was £2.13 in credit).

Stupidly I overlooked reminders for the incorrectly billed amount (since I knew I had paid in full) and had a court summons. At this point I panicked and paid the additional £25.14 but not the court fees. At this time I checked the bill and realised the mistake and informed the council of the incorrect bill. The council agreed to reduce the court fees from £85 to £27.27. This happened to be the amount that my account was now in credit, so they were able to bill me the amount without my agreement.

After lengthy discussions, they will not return the £27.27 to my account as they say I did not inform them of the date of my leaving the property. However, as I mentioned previously, I had informed them 2 weeks in advance. I went into the council and asked them if they had a record of this visit. They showed me a document (completed by them at the time of my visit) which clearly states my old address, my new address and the date I was due to be living at the new address from. However, they argue that it does not state the date I would be vacating my old address and will not return the £27.27 as I am liable for not informing them of this.

I am aware that the £27.27 is hardly worth fighting for, but I am not rich. I would happily have left the fees unpaid and let them chase me, but as they have taken it from my account, I now need to seek to recoup the money.

Is there anything I can do? They will no longer discuss the matter and suggest I make a complaint through their website. Of course I will do this, but am certain nothing will come of it.

Apologies for the ramble.
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax liability for court fees (incorrect summons)

You would be better involving your local Councillor(s) to sort this for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X