• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New Member - Advice please re off work with stress & depression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member - Advice please re off work with stress & depression

Hello Everyone. It would be great if you could give some advice please.
    My partner has been working for a company for 20 years. The shifts changed about 10 years ago.
    He's in a warehouse and works 12 hour shifts continental. Over the last few years its been affecting his sleep/very little sleep, his health and moods. Things got to a stage where he came out of work mid September this year with stress and depression. The doctor signed him off for two weeks and then a further month. An appointment was quickly organised for him during the first couple of weeks to go and see the Company Occupational Health nurse. Unfortunately this didnt go well and it really set my partner back. My partner felt that she didnt appreciate how unwell he was. Her agenda was to pencil in a date to return to work with no regard for his wellbeing. After this appointment he became frustrated, angry, paranoid and couldnt sleep with having nightmares. My partner felt that no one believed he was unwell as he had difficulty expressing how he felt etc and from the outside he looked normal. I emailed the Occupational Health on my partners behalf explaining the effect the nurse had caused as they had made a further appointment for my partner 3 weeks on and he was again worrying and getting stressed about this. They agreed that I accompany my partner for the next appointment. So we went to the second appointment which went on for over half an hour. Occupational health have been looking to organise a meeting with my partner, his Manager and Personnel Managers and again the nurse was looking to organise a date for this and so I said that taking into account how your, the nurse's, appointment went which was just one on one for 20 minutes how do you expect my partner to manage a meeting with Managers for around an hour. So she agreed that my partner could just have a meeting with his Manager and we are to see the Nurse again in another 3 weeks. So now my partner is going for a meeting with his Manager next week and then the Manager has advised that he wants contact on a weekly basis at least by email.
    My question initially is does my partner need to see this Company Occupational Health nurse for a third appointment and possibly every 3 weeks onward when he is now also going to be in weekly contact with his Manager? As my partner is also seeing a counsellor on a weekly basis which was organised via work and of course the doctor so he's going to one appointment after the other when what he needs his rest and time to get better. Thank you in advance of your help and advice.
    Tags: None

Re: New Member - Advice please re off work with stress & depression

Hi and welcome

It would appear to me as though your partner's employer is beginning down the road to a capability consideration, which they are perfectly entitled to do.

As far as I can see from what you say (paragraphs are easier) there has been no change in working conditions that has lead to this?

Comment

Yes, your husband needs to keep seeing the OH nourse.
      While you couldn't have known it, the nurse was actually being helpful by asking him about a return date.
      If the company are considering your husband's capability to work, it would be much easier for them to fairly dismiss him if they couldn't be given an indication of when he would be fit to return.
      Are there any jobs that he could do on different hours at that workplace?

Comment

Thank you stevemLS for your reply and welcome.
        Things have changed re manning levels, increased output, management style. More obstacles and paperwork causing more stress. His shift team has been reduced by 25% and one of the team isnt pulling his weight. This was reported to management before my partner went off but nothing was done. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you mariefab for your reply.
          Unfortunately there are no jobs that he could do on different hours.
          They closed the departments that did 8 hour shifts beginning of this year.
          Thank you.

Comment

I hope others can see more to this than `I can, but so far I can see nothing wrong on the part of the employer.

Comment

As his employer has been making cuts to the number of staff and departments, would they consider reducing his hours if that would help him?

Comment

Thank you for your help and responses. He is due to see his Manager this week and they may put him on slightly less hours for a few weeks once back.
                No there is nothing wrong on the part of the employer but there are many people coming out of long term employment with stress and depression because of shift patterns that
                just allow you to work, sleep and work. Your mind and body can only take so much for so long. Thank you again.

Comment

Hello Polly69,
                  I'm no doctor Polly but I do know a thing or two about depression. In a similar situation to your partners I took the drastic action of quitting my job, packing a suitcase and heading off to the Canary Islands for a month to chill and recharge my batteries. When I got back I found another job and although I still get a bit down at times I don't regret the action I took for one second. Once a job becomes a chore that for whatever reason you just cannot enjoy anymore it is time to hand in your notice. No job is worth risking your mental health for; take a break and make a fresh start. I doubt you will regret it. All the best, Billy the Kid

Comment

Hello Billy The Kid. Thank you so much for your kind response. Exactly, when you're in that position no job and no amount of money is worth your mental health. We are coming to that decision and my partner has applied for a part time job with a different company and has an interview as after doing 12 hour shifts for many years its too much. You definately did the right thing by leaving your job and going to the Canaries. Fair play to you and we wish you all the very best in the future. Thank you !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Polly69 View Post
                      Hello Billy The Kid. Thank you so much for your kind response. Exactly, when you're in that position no job and no amount of money is worth your mental health. We are coming to that decision and my partner has applied for a part time job with a different company and has an interview as after doing 12 hour shifts for many years its too much. You definately did the right thing by leaving your job and going to the Canaries. Fair play to you and we wish you all the very best in the future. Thank you !!!
                      Your welcome Polly69, I hope it all works out for you and your partner, all the best, Billy the Kid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X