• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debenhams online nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debenhams online nightmare

Hi everyone
    I have shopped online with Debenhams and I have purchased yet sent back, via the courier,high volumes of items bought for choice.
    You are meant to send some items back to supplier via post but to avoid loss I just sent everything to warehouse where refunds are often delayed because items have to be rerouted manually, by the warehouse.
    Upto now whenever I have chased a refund, customer relations have done it manually, taking my proof of returns barcode number, on numerous occasions due to processing delays, for example I set back 6 items in one parcel, four items refunded two items still outstanding.
    However last week, they took the number but did not do the refund for two items out of eight.
    I questioned them and they advise it has been passed on to a "back office team" for investigation. I have waited over a week now for a managers callback after ringing repeatedly for updates, They keep telling me there are no updates.
    I want to, on principle. return the remaining items to store on principle after this awful treatment meted out to me. Don't want to go beyond the 28 day home approval time.
    I contacted escalations today and they advise a manager should be ringing me today and loss prevention are probably doing the investigation and why these losses have occurred so many times.
    The same thing has happened to many other customers who have put reviews on a leading website as they get wiped off the Debenhams website for being negative.
    I asked the lady at escalations what should I expect as an outcome to the investigation, should I go to citizens advice or seek legal aid, she replied "it shouldn't come to that".
    However I am anxious and I have retained all the proofs of return.
    Does anyone else know what would be the outcome? A loss prevention letter or prosecution?
    Do Debenhams prosecute customers or harass with debt management agencies?
    Please advise
    Tags: None

Re: Debenhams online nightmare

I'm extremely dismayed that I've not had any replies. I was hoping a solicitor or someone who has similar experience might help.
    The store are not helping or answering my requests for a callback.One person from cs did call me as promised and told me I may or should get a resolution today, but so far nothing.
    Please help any solicitors, if you are reading this.

Comment

Hi Justify,

Apologies for your post being missed yesterday. I'm not a solicitor.

If you have returned products received that were on a 28 day approval and you have followed the terms of the approval ( eg return in original packaging etc) then you should receive your refund within the time period specified in their terms. It sounds like they are investigating ( which is understandable if it keeps happening with your parcels in particular) and keeping you up to date so there isn't a great amount you can do for the moment. If you wish to return further items then do so and inform them that you are doing so, where you are sending them to and what you are sending so that they have the information in advance.

If you don't here back today as promised you could make a formal complaint and escalate it to the CEO or possibly the Retail Ombudsman.

How have you paid for the products?

http://www.debenhams.com/wcsstore/De...s/returns.html
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst
        Thank you for your reply.
        I did inform them of the final parcel and told them there were five items in it, they said they had noted the items and the parcel got back into their warehouse on 2nd october at 6.23 when they emailed me with an update, but only one item out of the five is being refunded. The rest of the items are not showing or updated at all.
        Yes they are doing an ivestigation since last monday but I have had no updates and last night got a call back from their cs team to say it may get resolved today and I would get a call. today.
        No call has been received but I rang them in customer relations and they just said there has been no update. I also called escalations who told me they were not dealing with it but they would chase up the dept for me.
        I also sent CR an email addressed to the investigator and team leader to put a trace on the warehouse person who had opened the parcel to see what they have done with it. They have probably left their footprint when they accessed my account to do that single refund.
        I paid with my visadebit card and realise I can do a chargeback but don't want to go that route unless absolutely necessary.
        They have my goods and my money in their possession so I am the injured party.

Comment

Welcome to LB, we are all people who give freely of our time and sometimes a little patience is necessary.

If you have not followed the returns instructions (ie not sending them back via the carrier/method they ask) I can see why that would cause problems and delays.

The "Loss Prevention" team would become involved if they believed somebody was claiming to have sent something back when they hadn't. You have proof of dispatch - not sure whether that just shows a parcel was sent rather than the items the parcel contained.

If, however, a number of the items were sent to the "wrong" place and had to be rerouted to a different place to process the refund I can understand what they have done.

I think to talk of legal aid and prosecutions is far too premature and not remotely likely to materialise.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Steve.
            There was a returned goods note in every parcel stating which goods were in that parcel and the proof of despatch was always obtained and presented to them., enabling a manual refund.
            Ironically I was trying to avoid loss by sending using postal system which is horrifically dubious and defunct.
            I have emailed the CEO.
            I accept what you say re not following instructions but it was not done to create havoc but has due to large volumes returned.

Comment

we are all people who give freely of our time and sometimes a little patience is necessary.
              Emphasis on this point, there are many others who post their problems on here, and may not always be picked up. If a post has not been responded to then a little bump would do to bring it to someone's attention :-)

Now, addressing some of the points you've made:

Loss Prevention team
              Whilst StevenLS has pointed out one suggestion as to what the loss prevention team are doing, on the flipside the loss prevention team's investigation could be for other reasons such as why so many refunds are being placed against your account, if there is a popular item of clothing that is being returned keeping a tally of how many are being returned or it could also just be a spot check. all of these suggestion seem to coincide with a loss prevention assistant/supervisor advertised on their website.

I want to, on principle. return the remaining items to store on principle after this awful treatment meted out to me.
              I see and hear on a regular basis of customers or people complaining that they've been treated unfairly or not as they had hoped. It is easy to forget sometimes that in the world of business, 1 week is not a long period of time. A company such as Debenhams is a large business and I am sure process thousands if not tens of thousands of refunds on returns which were received prior to yours so 7 days is not unreasonable. A good example of this is an email I received today complaining that I had taken 12 days to respond. Well the reason it took that long was because I had to gather some evidence which was not readily available and secondly, I had more urgent matters to deal with which took priority over this one. Unfortunately I'm not going drop everything I am doing and solely concentrate on one recent matter. Part of our jobs are to prioritise workloads but I nevertheless still responded within the time frame given. I am sure the case is likely the same with the loss prevention team. Now correct me if I am wrong but you have said that the the manager stated your goods were returned and arrived in the warehouse on the 2 October and it's only been 1 week since they received them back.

the returns procedure is there for a reason and if you try to circumvent that for whatever reason (which as a result may have inadvertently been picked up by the loss prevention team) then you can't expect the same thing to happen all the time if instructions were not followed.

Unless you have fraudulently returned goods and claimed money for goods that you have deliberately not sent back, then I see no reason for any prosecutions or debt collection agencies, assuming you did return the goods you claimed money back on so I'm not sure why you have that line of thought. If anything, it's a civil matter most likely.

Whilst I am not defending Debenhams, I think sending emails to the CEO isn't going to speed things up if they have to follow guidelines and procedures given that you also failed to follow returns procedures. Now having looked on Debenhams website it seems to be silent on how long a refund will take. Absent any express time frame for a refund it will usually then resort to a "reasonable time". what is deemed reasonable would be 14 days, however this could be longer depending on the circumstances. Given that your return of the goods are being investigated, this could be a reasonable explanation as to delaying the refund within 14 days, but I would probably think anything more than 1 month is unreasonable.

Therefore, my advice would be to chase it up next week (not everyday you will annoy them) and if you haven't done so already see if you can find out the following;

- The name of the person or persons from the loss prevention team dealing with the investigation. If not, is there an a department / address / email you can have to find out.
              - keep a note of times and dates you have contacted Debenhams and names of employees you've spoken to.
              - If after 14 days you've still not heard anything back, then you can compile this all into a complaint letter referring to the dates, times and people you have spoken to and ping it off in line with their complaints procedures. You might receive something sooner since you have already contacted the CEO.

As far as I am aware you can only do a charge back on a debit card where goods were not delivered, faulty or not described. I don't think it covers goods returned. Unlike a credit card purchase over £100, you can reclaim the amount back for a breach of contract/msirepresentation.

I am sorry if my response sounds harsh but it's just my opinion and I am of course looking at this from an objective stance based on the information you've supplied.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rob for the time you have taken on your detailed post, I appreciate it.
                Yes it was a little constructively critical where you use the word fraudulently and the very notion of it, which I take umbrage to. I felt I was going to be scapegoated for not following the returns procedure to the hilt, hence the mention of prosecution etc , the important thing is that they were returned!
                Yes I may have come forward as impatient but it is easily done in such circumstances, couldn't help it.
                On the upside and contrary to your belief, it was my writing to the CEO that brought about a resolution. The head of CS phoned me to apologise and admitted they could have done better to communicate and keep me abreast of the situation, they refunded the outstanding returns and made good with me with a voucher. They however don't want to lose me as a customer, so they say, and have suggested I return all items to store to avoid further losses and to minimise further stress to myself, which I agree with as it is too stressful and expensive chasing returns this way.
                They did accept they do have things being misplaced in their warehouses as there are a few warehouses, frequently items do get seperated from the returns goods notes and they end up with a surplus of items not knowing who needs refunding.
                So a resolution has been effected and it has been for the greater good as I have had a chance to introspect and re assess my shopping habits. So win win I say.
                Plus the fact I got some sound advice from you guys,
                Thank you all.
                Last edited by justify; 9th October 2015, 12:11:PM.

Comment

Glad to hear you have it all resolved, I was not insinuating on my part that you were doing anything fraudulent but merely suggested the instance in which it might happen. Obviously in this case writing to the CEO has had a positive effect and got what you wanted out of it, but from my experience this doesn't always work and ensuring that the correct procedures are followed is always best to avoid any doubt or wasting time.

Anyway, if you do decide to purchase goods from debenhams online again, have you thought about returning the goods in store rather than sending them back? Their website states that any goods purchased online can be returned and refunded in shops as well as back to the delivery address - It might save you less stress and hassle next time.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob
                    Thanks for your quick response. I hear what you say re writing to CEO depts and was surprised it was heard so quickly.
                    It is fine I know you were not insinuating anything, probably the wording ie the word "you" could have been" one", so least said soonest mended.
                    It may be a while for me to purchase anything from Debenhams as I only purchase in sales when it is down to the last reduction. I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face though, I mean where else can you get a pair of designer jeans at £30 or less?
                    Mobility issue often gets in the way of going into store with lots of items so I will plan more and buy less!
                    Cheers

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X