• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

summoning with 1000 fine need urgent help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summoning with 1000 fine need urgent help

Hi firstly my motorbike i have i have gotten from my dad (logbook sent to make changes) but i think has not made it to dvla

then he was summoned to court for violation of insurance act not having insurance on the motor bike. section 144(1) of the road traffic act 1988

this is because i could not afford it the bike has been kept of road i am not scared of a fine due to not meeting the statutory insurance requirements section 22 of road safety act 2006

what should i do my father has recieved a letter to plead guilty or not guilty. but he cannot go to the court date.

i have no clue what to do and do not understand theses act

i thought it would be okay to own the motor bike and have it uninsured as it is not in use and is offroad what should i do i reallly need help and have no clue

shall i go to the court and tell them it is my bike and not my fathers then ask what are these requisition about. there is proof that i was going to insure the bike but due to the rise in price couldnt afford it and decided i would leave it uninsured (the proof is the phone recording that is save from the insurance company for training purposes).
    Tags: None

Re: summoning with 1000 fine need urgent help

Firstly look up SORN on the DVLA website and if the vehicle is still uninsured carry out a SORN notification.

Do you have proof of posting of the V5 (Log Book) document to the DVLA notifying change of keeper?

Comment

Hi, welcome to LB,
      Did he not make a " stored off road notification" (SORN) which is required in this situation, the registration
      documents for any motor vehicle make this clear.
      If you have not notified a change of " ownership" and then registered a SORN then technically the bike
      is still your fathers.

Your father can plead by letter and add a letter of mitigation which will be read by
      the magistrate or district judge.

The statement from the insurer will not I think mitigate the offence (s).

Intention to do something is unfortunately not a defence for not complying with the law/regulations.

nem

Comment

do you think it is a good idea for me to go in and say the motor bike in under my name and that i have sent the log book in decemeber than plead guilty for not having insurance as i couldnt afford it and say i did not know what sorn is which is true as i only found out yesterday

Comment

Ignorance is no defence sorry to say you need to fu=ight it some other way

Comment

Originally posted by edi4937 View Post
            do you think it is a good idea for me to go in and say the motor bike in under my name and that i have sent the log book in decemeber than plead guilty for not having insurance as i couldnt afford it and say i did not know what sorn is which is true as i only found out yesterday
            No it wont work and you must be truthful!!

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X