• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Badly fitted shower when house was refurbished and sold to us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badly fitted shower when house was refurbished and sold to us

Hi, I am new to this forum but I am really gl;ad it is here.
    We moved into our home in September 2012. Built in 1930 it had been completely refurbished by a young builder - everything had been tackled: new roof fitted, new extension built on, new lawn laid, completely re-pointed and redecorated, new kitchen fitted, new bathroom and shower room installed, etc. It atracted us because there apperaed to be nothing that needed to be addressed!
    But, we have now discovered that the shower in the shower room was not fitted correctly and the shower door has been leaking. Over time this leak has seeped into the structure of the house and is now emerging as damp patches in the ceiling, wall, utility cupboard and downstairs lavatory.
    What rights do we have as the problem has obviously been there from the time the shower was installed but has only recently started to manifest itself. As the shower room is completely tiled with high spec tiles and the door will have to be removed causing these tiles to be damaged this is not going to be a cheap job. We don't see why we should have to pay for something that should have been installed properly in the first place. The builder profited from the sale. It is our view that he should put the matter right at his cost. What can we do about this?
    Tags: None

Re: Badly fitted shower when house was refurbished and sold to us

Hi rwilsher,
    Welcome to Legal Beagles. We will do what we can to help and support you.

Read through the stickys etc. I think the best place for your question will be in the Consumer forums - consumer and civil rights threads.

Usually those who are knowledgeable about things mainly read the threads in that section.

All the best xx
    P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
    life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
    Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

I would initially nicely ask the builder / vendor to correct it.

Comment

Hi

When you purchased the house, there would have been a document/list that covered fixtures and fittings as part of the sale docs, unless that specifically gives further guarantee over any items ( sometimes boiler or recent work guarantees are in this, like roof or damp course etc ), then you loose most rights of comeback, especially after this long.

It could be hard to prove that it was the fitting that has caused any other damage. but i do sympathise with you.
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Hi, are you insured for such occurrences?

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X